Teacher's Aide fired for not giving up Facebook account info

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Kimberly Hester, a teacher’s aide at an elementary school, was fired last year for refusing to give her Facebook password to her supervisors. She is now fighting a legal battle with the school district.
Teacher’s aide fired for refusing to hand over Facebook password | ZDNet

Funny how ZDNet titles this story and to see all of the mindless comments who cry about first amendment abuse...all in defense of a person that posted a picture of their coworker in a bathroom.

Here's the main bit of info from the story,

She jokingly posted a picture of a co-worker’s pants around her ankles and a pair of shoes, with the caption “Thinking of you.”

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Her joke was inappropriate and she definitely needs to be held accountable for that. However, no one has a right to another person's password. I know that in California, legislature is being introduced to bar companies from asking for Facebook passwords as they are now doing just for any job application. That is insanity in my mind.

What ever she did it was between her and the co-worker. How are others offended by it??
Huh? Suppose she strangled and killed this woman? Just between the two ladies? You can't just go around doing anything you want to people with no consequences. And that includes taking pictures in a private setting without permission -- or publishing them without permission.

Rick

Huh? Suppose she strangled and killed this woman? Just between the two ladies? You can't just go around doing anything you want to people with no consequences. And that includes taking pictures in a private setting without permission -- or publishing them without permission.

Rick

You are taking it in the wrong way. no one knows if the picture was taken with out the permission or with permission. It was reported by the parent of a student from that school. Not by the person offended by the photo. she can be asked to delete the photo from the facebook. Asking for password is not correct.

You are taking it in the wrong way. no one knows if the picture was taken with out the permission or with permission. It was reported by the parent of a student from that school. Not by the person offended by the photo. she can be asked to delete the photo from the facebook. Asking for password is not correct.
I am going by CptlA's statement: "in a bathroom," plus from the story: "pants around her ankles." Do you have information to the contrary?

I can't imagine any school worker wanting a photograph like that on facebook. The instant it's posted on facebook, it becomes public to everyone eventually, no matter what settings you have in place. It's NOT just between the two ladies. That's the nature of the internet. Any "friend" who sees it can do a screen shot, then clip in the borders with Photoshop or even Paint. and post it in any of a thousand places anonymously. If you don't think $%@! like that happens, you've got another thing comin to ya.

Rick