Television Fall 2009

bicker

DTVUSA Member
This is an up-to-date view of the fall schedule, by time slot:

Sunday
7:00-8:00 pm
__________ABC: America’s Funniest Home Videos
__________CBS: 60 minutes
__________Fox: The OT (NFL Post-Game) (midseason: Animation Domination Encores / American Dad)
__________NBC: Football Night In America (mid-season: Dateline NBC )
8:00-9:00 pm
__________ABC: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
__________CBS: The Amazing Race
__________Fox: The Simpsons/ The Cleveland Show (midseason: Sons of Tucson)
__________NBC:Football Night In America into NBC Sunday Night Football (mid-season: The Marrage Ref)
9:00-10:00 pm
__________ABC: Desperate Housewives
__________CBS: Three Rivers
__________Fox: Family Guy / American Dad (midseason: The Cleveland Show)
__________NBC: NBC Sunday Night Football (mid-season: Celebrity Apprentice)
10:00-11:00 pm
__________ABC: Brothers & Sisters
__________CBS: Cold Case
__________NBC: NBC Sunday Night Football (mid-season: Celebrity Apprentice)

Monday
__________ABC: Dancing with the Stars (mid-season: The Bachelor)
__________CBS: How I Met Your Motherinto Accidentally On Purpose
__________CW: Gossip Girl
__________Fox: House
__________NBC: Heroes(mid-season: Chuck)
__________ABC: Dancing with the Stars (mid-season: The Bachelor)
__________CBS: Two and a Half Men into The Big Bang Theory
__________CW: One Tree Hill
__________Fox: Lie To Me(midseason: 24)
__________NBC: Trauma (mid-season: Day One)
__________ABC: Castle
__________CBS: CSI: Miami
__________NBC: Jay Leno Show

Tuesday
__________ABC: Shark Tank
__________CBS: NCIS
__________CW: 90210
__________Fox: So You Think You Can Dance (Performance Show) (midseason: American Idol)
__________NBC: The Biggest Loser
__________ABC: Dancing with the Stars (Results Show) (mid-season: Scrubs and Better Off Ted)
__________CBS: NCIS: Los Angeles
__________CW: Melrose Place
__________Fox: So You Think You Can Dance (Performance Show) (midseason: Past Life)
__________NBC: The Biggest Loser (mid-season: shorter The Biggest Loser, into 100 Questions)
__________ABC: The Forgotten
__________CBS: The Good Wife

Wednesday
__________ABC: Hank / The Middle
__________CBS: The New Adventures of Old Christine into Gary Unmarried
__________CW: America's Next Top Model
__________Fox: So You Think You Can Dance (Results Show) (midseason: American Idol)
__________NBC: Parenthood (mid-season: Mercy)9
__________ABC: Modern Family / Cougar Town
__________CBS: Criminal Minds
__________CW: The Beautiful Life
__________Fox: Glee(midseason: Human Target 9; then spring: Glee)
__________NBC: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
__________ABC: Eastwick
__________CBS: CSI: NY

Thursday
__________ABC: Flash Forward
__________CBS: Survivor
__________CW: Vampire Diaries
__________Fox: Bones
__________NBC: SNL Weekend Update Thursday into Parks And Recreation (mid-season: Community into Parks And Recreation)
__________ABC: Grey's Anatomy
__________CBS: CSI
__________CW: Supernatural
__________Fox: Fringe
__________NBC: The Office in Community (mid-season: The Office into 30 Rock)
__________ABC: Private Practice
__________CBS: The Mentalist

Friday
__________ABC: Supernanny
__________CBS: Ghost Whisperer
__________CW: Smallville
__________Fox: Brothers / 'Til Death
__________NBC: Law & Order
__________ABC: Ugly Betty
__________CBS: Medium
__________CW: America's Next Top Model (rerun)
__________Fox: Dollhouse
__________NBC: Southland
__________ABC: 20/20
__________CBS: Numb3rs

Saturday
__________ABC: Saturday Night College Football
__________Fox: Cops / Cops
__________CBS: (rerun of a crime drama)
__________NBC: Dateline NBC
__________Fox: America's Most Wanted
__________CBS: (rerun of a crime drama)
__________NBC: Trauma (rerun) (mid-season: Southland rerun)
__________CBS: 48 Hours Investigations
__________NBC: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (rerun)

Mid-season (with no time slot allocated yet)
__________ABC: Lost
__________CBS: Arranged Marriage, Miami Trauma, Rules of Engagement, The Bridge, Undercover Boss -- Flashpoint will be back later

bicker

DTVUSA Member
A little early, for fall, yet, true, but the networks announced their (preliminary) schedules this week. All-in-all, it is not as bad as I expected it to be, given the Scourge of Leno. We're probably going to end up with the same number of hours of television of interest to us this fall as we had last fall.

We end up with only one-and-a-half three-way DVR tuner conflicts: We'll watch House and Heroes on Monday, sacrificing How I Met Your Mother (or recording it in SD). Also, we'll probably watch Bones and Flash Forward on Thursday, missing Vampire Diaries.

Subject to change, of course, this is how our TiVo Season Passes will probably break down, come fall:

Sunday, 2.5+1=3.5
Monday, 4+1=5
Tuesday, 2+2=4
Wednesday, 2+2=4
Thursday, 6+0=6 *
Friday, 3+0=3 *
Saturday, 0+0=0

By network:

ABC, 6+1=7 *
CBS, 6+2=8
CW, 1+0=1 *
Fox, 5.5+1=6.5
NBC, 1+2=3

(The math, above, represents definite+probable.)

* Our only three-way conflict is Thursday 8PM, between Bones, Vampire Diaries and Flash Forward. My wife has decided to go with Bones and Vampire Diaries, so Flash Forward gets missed.

Also, we will record Smallville, but it doesn't really count because we are actually a few years behind and have watched the entire series, so far, on DVD, via Netflix. We're just recording it now so that when we finally catch up to these episodes we're recording, we can start watching it off the DVR instead.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
This is an up-to-date view of the fall schedule, by time slot:
Thanks bicker, makes it easier than going to each stations website.

A little early, for fall, yet, true, but the networks announced their (preliminary) schedules this week. All-in-all, it is not as bad as I expected it to be, given the Scourge of Leno. We're probably going to end up with the same number of hours of television of interest to us this fall as we had last fall.

We end up with only one-and-a-half three-way DVR tuner conflicts: We'll watch House and Heroes on Monday, sacrificing How I Met Your Mother (or recording it in SD). Also, we'll probably watch Bones and Flash Forward on Thursday, missing Vampire Diaries.

Subject to change, of course, this is how our TiVo Season Passes will probably break down, come fall:

Sunday, 2.5+1=3.5
Monday, 4+1=5
Tuesday, 2+2=4
Wednesday, 2+2=4
Thursday, 6+0=6 *
Friday, 3+0=3 *
Saturday, 0+0=0

By network:

ABC, 6+1=7 *
CBS, 6+2=8
CW, 1+0=1 *
Fox, 5.5+1=6.5
NBC, 1+2=3

(The math, above, represents definite+probable.)

* Our only three-way conflict is Thursday 8PM, between Bones, Vampire Diaries and Flash Forward. My wife has decided to go with Bones and Vampire Diaries, so Flash Forward gets missed.

Also, we will record Smallville, but it doesn't really count because we are actually a few years behind and have watched the entire series, so far, on DVD, via Netflix. We're just recording it now so that when we finally catch up to these episodes we're recording, we can start watching it off the DVR instead.
Is there a tri-tuner available on any of the tivo units?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
No tri-tuners, but two TiVos = 4 tuners. :)

We aren't so motivated, though. There actually is enough great stuff on without having a third tuner, although we do have to leave one or two shows behind.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Neither: The big deal is five fewer hours of the schedule available for scripted television. The five hours that Leno has next fall, this past fall held:

My Own Worst Enemy - scripted drama
Law and Order: SVU - scripted drama
Law and Order (the original series) - scripted drama
ER - scripted drama
Lipstick Jungle - scripted drama

Now all five hours are talk/variety.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Still up-in-the-air for the Fall is Reaper -- they're trying to pull together a syndication deal for it. This could pose a problem for new Fox comedy Sons of Tucson, since Tyler Labine may or may not be subject to stick with Reaper even if it is only continuing in syndication.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Still up-in-the-air for the Fall is Reaper -- they're trying to pull together a syndication deal for it. This could pose a problem for new Fox comedy Sons of Tucson, since Tyler Labine may or may not be subject to stick with Reaper even if it is only continuing in syndication.
No Fringe? Leonard Nemoy scheduled to come back on the show this Fall. :)

Tuesday nights still a complete flop. How disappointing. Hmmmm seems friday isn't that great either. Oh Well Guess there still hockey night canada. Maybe something on cable.

Piggie

Super Moderator
If I like a show, it's jinxed. Never fails, happens constantly.

This time it's "My Name is Earl". dang it, there goes thursday nights. They really think Tina's "30 Rock" is funnier? I mean she is good, but I think she is still riding the imitating Sarah Palin in the election. Tracy is what makes that show.

At least Parks and Recreations and The Office are coming back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Name_Is_Earl#Cancellation.2C_possible_renewal.2C_and_response

Last edited:
Yanno, I really don't watch that much TV nowadays anymore - I download subtitle scripts and after I watch a show once, I learn the characters' "tone" and I can get who's saying what.

It's pretty much the same plots chopped and merged together, painted with different colors of drama for each type of show. Knowing that, I've been dying to see shows from other countries.

I watch a lot of Asian channels. Wish a station would get bold enough to carry ProSieben here - I have several Michael Bully Herbig DVDs - here's two clips from his variety show (somewhat better than the Ben Stiller Show) YouTube - BullyParade Hitler YouTube - Bullyparade - Baywatch Cuba Oh, and catch Herbig playing a girl here: YouTube - Bullyparade - Sissi - Ein Gärtner

I just wish this radio station really existed: YouTube - Bullyparade Radio Aktiv 108.8 MHZ

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
If I like a show, it's jinxed. Never fails, happens constantly.

This time it's "My Name is Earl". dang it, there goes thursday nights. They really think Tina's "30 Rock" is funnier? I mean she is good, but I think she is still riding the imitating Sarah Palin in the election. Tracy is what makes that show.

At least Parks and Recreations and The Office are coming back.

My Name Is Earl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Office well never be canceled because it's...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL5APUwV1Qg[/YOUTUBE]​

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Yanno, I really don't watch that much TV nowadays anymore - I download subtitle scripts and after I watch a show once, I learn the characters' "tone" and I can get who's saying what.

It's pretty much the same plots chopped and merged together, painted with different colors of drama for each type of show. Knowing that, I've been dying to see shows from other countries.

I watch a lot of Asian channels. Wish a station would get bold enough to carry ProSieben here - I have several Michael Bully Herbig DVDs - here's two clips from his variety show (somewhat better than the Ben Stiller Show) YouTube - BullyParade Hitler YouTube - Bullyparade - Baywatch Cuba Oh, and catch Herbig playing a girl here: YouTube - Bullyparade - Sissi - Ein Gärtner

I just wish this radio station really existed: YouTube - Bullyparade Radio Aktiv 108.8 MHZ
I'd probably agree with you if I spoke German. ;) That last youtube clip looks like a German version of Saturday Night Live.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
It's pretty much the same plots chopped and merged together, painted with different colors of drama for each type of show.
Remarkably, folks have been saying that since the dawn of television. Perhaps it is has always been true, and so the issue is just that some of us end up getting so old that we've seen it all before. :)

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
In reference to the USAToday link, Craig Nelson (anyone remember the 90's show Coach??) is back on a new show: Parenthood which is an adaptation from the 90's film of the same name (from producer Ron Howard). Might have to check it out. :)

bicker said:
Wednesday
__________NBC: Parenthood (mid-season: Mercy)9

Last edited: