Television of Today

iluvtv

DTVUSA Member
Do you feel there is entirely too much s*x and profanity on television today? I do and it is not just television. I understand that if I go to a movie theater, not to take my kids to see R rated movies. However on television you get the same junk as you do in the theater, only it is not even rated R. It my be a PG or TV-14 rating. I come from a time period in history (I won't say which one) when s*x scenes and extreme profanity would have never been allowed on regular t.v.

If you had a craving for these types of shows, then you could pay for HBO or playboy and revel in it to your hearts content. In the current time period your kids can turn on almost any channel and find not only bloody violence, but the afore mentioned additives. It seems the more they allow this kind of material to be shown, the more the audience craves it or just becomes so used to it, it doesn't seem to really matter anymore.

I do use parental controls, but my kids are very observant. If you aren't extremely careful, they will see which numbers you press on the remote for the password. Even better yet, they will sometimes figure it out. I have actually had my kids tell me possible combinations, when I forget what my password is. I am beginning to understand why some people don't have a television in their house, at all.

I am not yet to the point of throwing my sets out, just yet. Now the family computers, that's another story.b:rolleyes:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I've always considered myself pretty moderate when it comes to media and TV, Movies, etc. The way I look at it, is, if you pay for cable, you're an adult, and you can easily control what your children watch by using the protective software built into cable boxes, or manually moderate by turning off the TV or changing the channel.

What surprises me, is the amount of adult material being shown on local television stations, and at prime time! Wow. Whether it's the steamy scenes, fowl langauge, or even a superbowl malfunction....I've been baffled by some of the things that TV now gets away with.

sanju123

DTVUSA Member
Things are getting out of control these days. There are all types of shows that are aired on cable network. If you have kids at home there is a need for the software that cuts out the undesired stuff.

uplana

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I am agree with you.Every thing has some positive and negative aspects associated with it.Seeing too much television is really harmful for kids.According to a recent study,some programmes really made negative impacts on thinking of kids which results in their move toward"s crime.I think it"s really acts as a slow poison.

Mei

DTVUSA Member
I am agree with you.Every thing has some positive and negative aspects associated with it.Seeing too much television is really harmful for kids.According to a recent study,some programmes really made negative impacts on thinking of kids which results in their move toward"s crime.I think it"s really acts as a slow poison.
yes i agree. i think that we should limit the kids from watching television. it is good if we should watch with them for us to guide them all the time.

Mei

DTVUSA Member
Do you feel there is entirely too much s*x and profanity on television today? I do and it is not just television. I understand that if I go to a movie theater, not to take my kids to see R rated movies. However on television you get the same junk as you do in the theater, only it is not even rated R. It my be a PG or TV-14 rating. I come from a time period in history (I won't say which one) when s*x scenes and extreme profanity would have never been allowed on regular t.v.

If you had a craving for these types of shows, then you could pay for HBO or playboy and revel in it to your hearts content. In the current time period your kids can turn on almost any channel and find not only bloody violence, but the afore mentioned additives. It seems the more they allow this kind of material to be shown, the more the audience craves it or just becomes so used to it, it doesn't seem to really matter anymore.

I do use parental controls, but my kids are very observant. If you aren't extremely careful, they will see which numbers you press on the remote for the password. Even better yet, they will sometimes figure it out. I have actually had my kids tell me possible combinations, when I forget what my password is. I am beginning to understand why some people don't have a television in their house, at all.

I am not yet to the point of throwing my sets out, just yet. Now the family computers, that's another story.b:rolleyes:
yes. not only on television but also on the internet. i think that there are so many bad things that are into the television now a days. children should really be guided when watching tv. i think i would agree with the idea of having a password on every channel except for cartoon channels.

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
yes. not only on television but also on the internet. i think that there are so many bad things that are into the television now a days. children should really be guided when watching tv. i think i would agree with the idea of having a password on every channel except for cartoon channels.
There are even cartoon channels that I don't let my kids watch. Some are just plain weird, put a lot of the cartoons out now are just as violent and offensive as video games.

Mei

DTVUSA Member
yes it is true. before, when you say cartoons, it is fine to let your kids watch but then now, it can sometimes be a bad influence to our children.

nick

DTVUSA Member
What ever you take there is positive and negative aspects in it and i guess this applies to the television media too. Its our duty to avoid such channels and avoid our kids watching those.

Sited

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Things are getting out of control these days. There are all types of shows that are aired on cable network. If you have kids at home there is a need for the software that cuts out the undesired stuff.
I agree.. sometimes things are just better left alone, and they just can't be changed sometimes you know? I mean whatever you do, it's all up to your child's decision, if they want to see sex on T.V. and you blocked it, they WILL find a way to go beyond that.. it'll just end up with your kids even madder than before.. you can't do anything about that really, just let them do what they want and they'll grow out of it when their hormones start to calm down o_O

I agree.. sometimes things are just better left alone, and they just can't be changed sometimes you know? I mean whatever you do, it's all up to your child's decision, if they want to see sex on T.V. and you blocked it, they WILL find a way to go beyond that.. it'll just end up with your kids even madder than before.. you can't do anything about that really, just let them do what they want and they'll grow out of it when their hormones start to calm down o_O
I don't buy that at all I see a lot of people who are tired of all the junk they are being feed if we stop supporting the junk then they will stop making it, if it doesn't make money they will quit. Things don't change because people stick their head in the sand.The was a recent film made by a Baptist church in Georgia,their third movie Called Fire Proof, it cost them 85,000.00 to make it made 30 million in the theaters, was in the top 10 for 13 weeks their second movie Facing the Giants did almost as well Their First Fly Wheel went straight to DVD but caught the attention of Sony Pictures who distributed the next two to theaters. Disney put out movies on C.S. Lewis' books and make millions, So who says that family entertainment won't make money. people are hungry for good wholesome entertainment and if that's what we want we need to vote with our pocketbooks and they will get the message load and clear.

Dish

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Nah, there isn't that much sex or profanity or any illegal ************ on television these days, it's gotten better actually (I'm talking about my country). I only have basic and intermediate channels (or whatever that's called), which is only about 100 channels in total, so I've never seen sex on television besides a couple times at night on channel 10, which was totally by accident, so don't get the wrong thought about me.

The parents just sometimes have to take control of their kids sometimes, much isn't going to change just my talking.

GunnedDown

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Television today don't have that much profanity OR sex.. I mean I thought they edit those out these days?

Maybe it's just me because I haven't watched television in a while, but I've never seen those kinds of graphic content when I did, and if they do they probably have that warning near the beginning..

Aiyaaaa

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yeah these days it does seem like it's going out of our control, but like people say, control what you can control, and best will come out of that (Brian Colangelo said that I think, in one of the interviews with CB4). I mean yeah, sure you want to worry about your kids for their sake.. but just do what you can, and make them happy.

FOX TV

Contributor
The internet, TV, and profanity and sex !!

Yeah these days it does seem like it's going out of our control, but like people say, control what you can control, and best will come out of that (Brian Colangelo said that I think, in one of the interviews with CB4). I mean yeah, sure you want to worry about your kids for their sake.. but just do what you can, and make them happy.
And the internet if used for TV program delivery will only make this problem worse, since it is not currently regulated, and regulating it now would be resisted on every possible front.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
There is way too much sex, profanity, and gore on television. It's not healthy for anyone in my opinion. We've crossed a line and that means I watch more DVDs than I do TV.

bm42

DTVUSA Member
Certainly there are some shows that aren't suitable for all audiences and it is a parents perogative to protect young children from some of these things. However, what are they exposed to away from home that you cannot protect them from? I used to teach in a junior high school and you might be shocked by what they know at that age that they hide from mom and dad. They may have heard and learned alot more than you think they have. How do you protect against common street language and such?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Just because it's out there doesn't make it right. Quite honestly, I avoid places of high swearing and such. I'm even tired of the 'change the channel' argument because you can't often tell when you start a program how it's going to finish. So you get hooked and then wham; not to mention that it's too late to find something else to watch.