The 5 minute commercial break

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
This is spreading, I've noticed. Old timers remember when a 30 minute show was 29 minutes. It's shrunk significantly over the years, just like the hour show that was 59 minutes is down to what, 42 minutes? I first really took note of the 5 minute break with Bravo TV. They do it regularly. My remote control jumps ahead in 5 minute segments and I've noted that I miss just about 30 seconds on channels like Food Network now too. So the latest situation I've noticed is the syndicated Judge Judy. They now have a full 5 minute ad block. Sometimes it has a 30 second plug for the series, but there isn't any content. Insanity.

AG99

DTVUSA Member
It has gotten much worse over the past 10 years or so. When the program starts, they play maybe 10 mins to get you into the plot, then shorten the content and lengthen the ads as the show progresses. By the end, you're getting 3 mins of show and 7 mins of ads. Most people record the show and skip the ads nowadays, so the channels have started playing promos over the show itself, and have big, bright programming notes in the corner the whole time.

This is one of the main reasons I cancelled DirecTV years ago. I haven't missed it since, not to mention saving $60/mo. Netflix and Hulu are much cheaper.

Orrymain

oh yeah -- the movie type of hook. I've seen them do as much as 20 minutes without a commercial and then after that, it's barely 4 minutes of content before another commercial. I can't stand that.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Worse yet, lets talk about commercials on "free" internet movie channels (Crackle, Popcornflix, etc). I understand the need for commercials to pay for content, and I'm good with that. But the buffering before and after EACH commercial adds several more minutes to the commercial breaks.

And then, there's the commercials themselves: the exact same 2 commercials during every. single. break.

Awesomesauce!

Do you know what's worse than the multiple commercial breaks that go for 5 mins or more???? Having your teenage daughter jam up the freaking DVR so you are forced to go and delete multiple teeny-bobber shows being recorded just to watch what you want to watch!!! I'm not even talking just 4...she's got like a queue of 10 so if I delete 2-3, I still can't watch TV til I nuke them all!!! If only my setup would require a pin or something to click "record"!!!! I typically will even record sports programming that I want to watch on the HD TV, and then start watching 30 mins into it so I can avoid the commercials...except for the Super Bowl of course :)

AG99

DTVUSA Member
And then, there's the commercials themselves: the exact same 2 commercials during every. single. break.
Hulu does that, even if you click the "not interested" poll at the top. You get the same 2-3 ads every time. Killer boring; at least mix it up a little!

Orrymain

I feel the same way about watching news stories on the internet. The buffering is horrible; takes forever, and I'm sorry, but I'm not going to wait 2 minutes and/or watch a commercial in order to watch a news story. Nope - I just exit out now. Not worth it.

I feel the same way about watching news stories on the internet. The buffering is horrible; takes forever,
Buffering? On an internet news story?? Sorry, I watch news on the internet several hours a day. Last time I saw any buffering was at least 7 years ago. I occasionally see buffering on YouTube at peak times of the day -- that's it. (By the time it gets on YT it's not news anymore. ;) )

The problem is not with the news feeds, the problem is either with your bandwidth or your computer.

Rick

Well Orry, I would argue that if you've bought the $400 special within the last 2 years from Wally World or Dell, that your performance should be all right CPU-wise. Now, I"m not talking about the 10 inch models...those stink...we tried one recently through Dell, I went on travel, and missed my window to return the stupid paper weight...even my 4 year old won't use it! (has a touch screen...but needs about a gig more RAM to be useful!!!)> The 400 buck, normal sized PC seems to have sufficient RAM/CPU speed/Video Card capacity to take just about whatever we through at it (manufacturer independent). Netflix and Hulu buffers seems to be the same on those models and the higher end ones I tend to get for myself.

I'd say if you have a PC with 2 GB or more of RAM and 2 Ghz or better processor, you should be good to go. Problem is, most computers are crammed full of malware and adware, and it's a huge hassle getting rid of it. That can slow your average computer to a crawl. I know a highly educated RN who had a computer like that. Dropped it off at a repair shop, and they didn't have it ready for three weeks. Charged her $200 just to clean off all the crapware.

On bandwidth, I think 5 Mbps should be sufficient. I'm not sure, cause I went right from 3 to 20.

R.

Well, if you all want me to save you a cool hundy for that guy or family member...I have several friends who make a full time living off of "fixing" business computers and consumers home laptops/pcs that have gotten too slow, don't perform as expected, etc...
The most common first step that solves about 80% of the issues...running the free version of Malwarebytes antivirus that they have saved to a memory stick to clean up all the spyware/adware/viruses on the infected machine(s). If you have a real nasty on the computer, rename the installed executable a few times (ie 3-4 copies on the stick for those viruses that prevent Malwarebytes from running).
When I have helped friends out, I've found that sometimes you have to do 2-3 full scans of the computer to get rid of all of the nasties.
Of course, some of the real nasty rootkits out there are pretty hard to remove.

Yeah, I'm such a nerd I know every process running on my machine, and roughly what it does. (The details are buried in a vault somewhere in Redmond.) Even so, I've had a couple serious viruses that took over a day of research to identify and remove. I made some naughty comments on YouTube once, and I think the NSA got me in their cross hairs. Otherwise, why SPY on someone without bothering to steal any financial info? Also, they got in after weeks of download free surfing, and we know now that Microsloth put back doors in Windows specifically for that purpose -- to comply with FISA court orders. Anyhow, back to "normal" now, or as normal as Microswift will allow.

Unfortunately, many of the sites I use for iTV don't work with Linux -- or didn't last time I checked. So I don't know any way for non-nerds to do it. Maybe Roku! I guess that's the main purpose of Roku. Harder to screw up such a simple operating system.

Rick

Orrymain

Yeah I'm not techie enough to run fix-it programs but I do run my virus scan and malware programs faithfully. I think things get logged into the registry and such and other things are out there, but I don't know what files go with what.

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
This is the life. A 1,5h movie on tv takes 3h to watch. All they want is to get money out of us... I just wonder when the time comes that the general public decides they've had too much. Young people nowadays turn their backs on tv more and more and with the years passing by, tv as we know it might just be a memory because no one wants to be screwed so badly by the commercials...

This is spreading, I've noticed. Old timers remember when a 30 minute show was 29 minutes. It's shrunk significantly over the years, just like the hour show that was 59 minutes is down to what, 42 minutes? I first really took note of the 5 minute break with Bravo TV. They do it regularly. My remote control jumps ahead in 5 minute segments and I've noted that I miss just about 30 seconds on channels like Food Network now too. So the latest situation I've noticed is the syndicated Judge Judy. They now have a full 5 minute ad block. Sometimes it has a 30 second plug for the series, but there isn't any content. Insanity.
Ever since the Writers Strike in the late 2000's television has taken a turn for the worse. Shows like Brooklyn Nine Nine and South Park still offer hope to the dismal TV world but plain and simple writers are getting lazy. Take for example Seth Macfarlane who very clearly is tiring of performing and writing for Family Guy and attempted to derail the show with the death of Brian. Not surprisingly the plan backfired and he had to do major damage control to save his integrity (if that's even still possible...) and brought Brian back from the dead. TV is dying and Hollywood is not far behind, the reliance on spin-offs, reality TV, and remakes will continue this dip in quality and with prices increasing it will be hard pressed to survive.

Orrymain

Not a South Park fan at all, so not into that and can't really speak to it, but writers aren't as inventive as they used to be, plus, we've seen most of it already anyway. Scripts are so often the same thing, just reworked. I laughed the other day when I was watching some Gomer Pyle DVDs and I kept watching these episodes where my mind went, "Oh, that's a reworking of that episode on The Andy Griffith Show" and "oh another Griffith show redone" -- lol ... it's hardly a new concept but most reworked 60s comedy is still better than most original comedy today.