The agony-I have a nice TV cabinet but it is not widescreen

James

DTVUSA Member
I wonder how many have a nice wooden TV cabinet or entertainment center that was made when TVs were square? I do. Glass-doors to protect my outboard gear. Sliding oak doors to cover the TV. Fancy molding around the top. Cabinets below containing Xbox, crap and VHS tapes that we cannot even watch.

I guess I can remove the doors that slide back along the TV...to gain some width. Then...measure the width and find a display that will fit. Convincing my wife that we need to get rid of the Oak monster and buy a big tv and a new cabinet system for the gear is not going to fly.

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
Why won't your wife agree? Maybe move the old cabinet to somewhere else, like your bedroom so that you can have an older, square tv there just to watch something in the evenings. And buy all new stuff for the room you want all pretty, with a modern tv?

I wonder how many have a nice wooden TV cabinet or entertainment center that was made when TVs were square? I do. Glass-doors to protect my outboard gear. Sliding oak doors to cover the TV. Fancy molding around the top. Cabinets below containing Xbox, crap and VHS tapes that we cannot even watch.

I guess I can remove the doors that slide back along the TV...to gain some width. Then...measure the width and find a display that will fit. Convincing my wife that we need to get rid of the Oak monster and buy a big tv and a new cabinet system for the gear is not going to fly.
So I know it sounds like such a generic answer but IKEA has the best selection of TV cabinets. They have ones for widesreen TV's, deep tube-TVs and even those huge widescreens from the early 2000's. They start at about $30 and only top out around $100 there really is no wider selection for the price. And I have had mine for 3 years and its still holding strong, never had any issues and I have about 500 movies piled on it!

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
Is IKEA really that good? I've always been afraid to buy something big there, their furniture looks so weak and plastic to me usually... Especially if I were to put something as expensive as a tv on IKEA's cabinet... I'd feel as if it was going to fall down any minute.

The Tv cabinets are solid wood, no plastic parts. Mine included steel bracers and like I said I have it WAAAAY overloaded. I think its supposed to hold about 100 DVD's, VHS, and blu-rays and I probably have about 400 on it, still only 1/3-1/4 of my collection. It has held up and honestly been the best TV cabinet I've ever had.

have heard of cheap products coming from Ikea but it is usually dressers and things with rolling tracks. You just have to find it in the showroom and test it yourself, they are by far the only store that has ever single item on display.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Is IKEA really that good? I've always been afraid to buy something big there, their furniture looks so weak and plastic to me usually... Especially if I were to put something as expensive as a tv on IKEA's cabinet... I'd feel as if it was going to fall down any minute.
Be advised, in the industry IKEA is known as the Swedish word for particleboard (Prestolog).

Jim

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
i'd be interested to know why you needed to make up this "fact?" in the industry??? in what industry? furniture? housewares?
Do your reasearch first, because my Tv stand is made of OAK....
Having worked in the Commercial and Residential Construction Industry for years as a finish carpenter and cabinet maker, my statement above comes from that industries' opinion of IKEA products: particle board or Presto-Log furniture: its a long running joke.

For the record, my Entertainment Center is made by Holden and is particleboard and my Component rack is a Ridgewood 98496, which is primarily particleboard, but has a solid wood back rather than cardboard. Summit Mountain Media Stand - Walmart.com Both units are top quality and assembled quickly. There is no way I could come close to copying them in solid wood or particleboard for the cost of materials, let alone my labor. Eventually, I'll finish an article I'm writing about both units for the Forum.

Jim

Having worked in the Commercial and Residential Construction Industry for years as a finish carpenter and cabinet maker, my statement above comes from that industries' opinion of IKEA products: particle board or Presto-Log furniture: its a long running joke.

For the record, my Entertainment Center is made by Holden and is particleboard and my Component rack is a Ridgewood 98496, which is primarily particleboard, but has a solid wood back rather than cardboard. Summit Mountain Media Stand - Walmart.com Both units are top quality and assembled quickly. There is no way I could come close to copying them in solid wood or particleboard for the cost of materials, let alone my labor. Eventually, I'll finish an article I'm writing about both units for the Forum.

Jim
Well I'm not sure how you can argue that another unit that is made of particle board compares to my OAK TV stand that I purchased from IKEA for about $50. It It solid wood, and I know because I worked in construction, and have experience building furniture. And the construction was soid and even included L-brackets to secure the unit. So why would I buy a particlboard unit from WALMART when I can spend less and get one made of OAK.....