The Best Movies On Netflix In 2014

2014 is a big year for Netflix and here are all of the movies that you should be watching. Some are young, some are old, but they are all recent additions to the Netflix family and worth an evening of your time.

View attachment 2970

Documentaries:

-Blackfish
Very few documentaries have earned the kind of controversy that surrounds Blackfish. This documentary tells the story of Sea World, and similar organizations, that have captured and trained Killer Whales, only to find out first hand about the dark side that this can build before wreaking havoc on those involved.

-The Square
The Square covers the incredible Egyptian Revolution that captured the hearts and minds of the world. This documentary is the first one Netflix has produced that has earned an Oscar nomination and it is by and large one of the greatest things that they have produced.

-Cutie and the Boxer
This doc is up for an Oscar as well this year. It takes a look at the struggling couple of Noriko and Ushio Shinohara as they move through America’s art scene after they led their native country of Japan. For a look at how art can overtake life while also giving it meaning, don’t miss out on this.

Drama:

-The Talented Mr Ripley
Matt Damon earned an Oscar for his one and it premiers on Netflix this year. His performance as a psychotic man terrorizing Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow is one for the record books. This is your chance to see it without having to go through the trouble of renting a movie that is 15 years old.

-American Psycho
This fits into Drama in a way. People have different takes on it, but I think it belongs here. Christian Bale plays a serial killer known as Patrick Bateman. This Bret Easton Ellis novel adaptation features all of the debauchery that you would expect from a wealthy serial killer living in the 1980s.

-Raging Bull
Martin Scorsese hit it big this year with The Wolf of Wall Street, which is a great reminder that you should go back and watch classics like this. It will be added to Netflix in 2014, giving you the chance to see Robert De Niro play Jake LaMotta in what is widely considered one of his best performances.

Comedies:

-Drinking Buddies
This was a sleeper hit in many places, but most people still haven't heard of it. Olivia Wilde and Jake Johnson star in this romantic comedy that has just been added to Netflix. It is famous for being popular even among people that hate the standard 20-something hipster romance movie. Give it a shot.

-The Guilt Trip
Seth Rogan and Barbra Streisand together in a movie can sound like something terrible that a studio exec came up with, but it works here in a strange way. It isn’t the best movie ever, but it is certainly one of the best additions to Netflix instant that is happening this year.

-Safety Not Guaranteed
This is one of the older additions to the list, but it is one that will be more important in 2014. The cast is great, featuring Aubrey Plaza and Jason Sudeikis, which means you will be hearing much more about them this year than you did when they made this dramatic comedy about growing into adulthood.

Thanks for the post! We watched Blackfish to see what all the fuss was about. I have to say, it really makes us think twice about going to Seaworld...but then again, I think you could make a similar movie about most zoo animals, etc. It really makes you wonder how much the public really cares about the topic of cruelty to animals versus the potential benefits of exposing folks to them in the controlled habitat context, etc.

CaliTVguy;bt1476 said:
Thanks for the post! We watched Blackfish to see what all the fuss was about. I have to say, it really makes us think twice about going to Seaworld...but then again, I think you could make a similar movie about most zoo animals, etc. It really makes you wonder how much the public really cares about the topic of cruelty to animals versus the potential benefits of exposing folks to them in the controlled habitat context, etc.
It's a really hard thing to digest. I think the point with Blackfish was that it was SO over the top compared to what a typical zoo animal might go through. Nonetheless, it's something that humans might not figure out for a while.

G

Looks Like we are in for a year of old movies or B or C rated ones.
I have seen Raging Bull years ago, saw blackfish in Dec. I don't have any interest in Bubblegum teen movies like Cutie/boxer. Saw Ripley, the last 3 sound dumb and dumber. There are some great 4 and five star movie out there. Whoever picks the movies is not aware, must chew bubble gum..
I wonder if this comment will get on line.
PS.......The George Question is also pretty lame.

American Psycho and the Guilt trip seem like they could be two good movies. Barbara Streisand is one of the greatest actress of all time. Just about every movie she has played in and I saw was good. I'm pretty sure the ones I haven't seen her in were good as well.