The BEST of Netflix Week of February 11, 2014

NEtflix has been getting somewhat stale lately, but there have been a few hidden gems added to the list as of late. Each day this week I will add a new post with a new review of a recently added movie and suggestions for anyone searching around.

Animated pick of the Week:

THE CROODS
Simply put this is the promising future of animation and story-telling. A spectaular voice cast leads this animated film in the most charming story of a changing world since Land Before Time. With today's technology moving so fast it is incredibly applicable to the world around us. If you love animation, or enjoy a well-written story of family and over-coming this odds watch this one tonight.

Action Pick of the Week:

MAN OF TAI CHI
Directoral debut of Keanu Reeves leaves me wanting more of the talented Tigen Chen. Starring the choreographer of the Matrix trilogy and filled with bare knuckles fight scenes, Man of Tai Chi feels the closest thing to a Bruce Lee film since Enter the Dragon. The fight scenes are spectacular and so well choreographed you have a hard time distinguishing when the actors are actually getting hit. Keep in mind Keanu performed 95% of his fights, and Tiger Chen 100% so this is the closest thing to honest martial arts you will see on film. The story is captivating and the arc of Tiger Chen keeps you rotting for the silent underdog the whole time. A delight for martial arts fans, and anyone who enjoys a cant-turn-away film

Comedy Pick of the Week:

AIRPLANE
Simple brilliance. Leslie Nielson RIP is one of the all time comedy greats, no question top 5. If you haven't seen this just go watch it RIGHT now and if you have seen it you know you just want to watch it again!

Also, the Netflix original House of Cards is back so if you haven't seen season1 I highly reccomend it. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are the most captivating political couple since JFK and Jackie O. Full of twists, heart-wrenching moments, drama, and suspense, House of Cards is a step in the right direction for Netflix.

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
As for House of Cards you've mentioned, I've heard a lot of praise about it (though I don't really know what it's about... silly me). Is it only available on Netflix or somewhere else too?

As for House of Cards you've mentioned, I've heard a lot of praise about it (though I don't really know what it's about... silly me). Is it only available on Netflix or somewhere else too?
It is a Netflix exclusive. The production value and quality of action/suspense are on-par if not superior to most current Hollywood drama films. If you like politics and a compelling story there is no better option

Horror Pick of the Week:

Haunter

A twist on the regular horror take, this movie is from the perspective of the ghost, and follows the story that the humans are the unwelcome guests. Somewhat of a scarier and twisted take on the Beetlejuice scenario, this ghost just wants the haunts out of her home (her eternal home). Films like Cabin in the Woods, and Evil Dead have opened the door for unique and creatvie new horror films and this one comes out running. To find yourself feeling for the ghost and cheering against the humans creates a conflict in your mind that can only be resolved through the climax of this film. If you like a horror movie with some inteeligence add this to your instant que today.

We've already watched the Croods this week on Netflix. My 5 year old can't get enough of the show...I think he thinks our family is like the one in the movie :)

We've already watched the Croods this week on Netflix. My 5 year old can't get enough of the show...I think he thinks our family is like the one in the movie :)
It is just the cutest and most touching family animation I have seen in a long time. It was fresh and kept you on the edge of your seat. When he busts through the smoke riding the pirranha birds and a skeleton you can't help but cheer

Yup! I'm waiting to see how long until we have the Croods II come out so we can take the kids to watch it. This one actually kept my 20 month olds attention (he doesn't normally like to watch cartoons or movies...which I know isn't a bad thing!).

Comic Book Pick of the Week:

Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United

While the Marvel animation is far behind and could take a note from the DC animation group, this take is a step in the right direction. Playing off the chemistry between Bruce Banner and Tony Stark that we saw in Avengers, this movie has a captivating story, and characters you actually care about, and have some on-screen evolution. While it is still far from perfect this Marvel animation outing has me hoping for great things to come!