The Collector

View attachment 2476
---------------------------

Last Saturday, I watched the Miss Wisconsin finals on the internet. As usual I had no trouble finding a backdoor feed, but quality was poor and the sound flaked out now and then, so I flicked on the tube to fill my entertainment quota. I was surprised to see "The Collector" playing on Antenna TV.

For many years this 1965 film did a disappearing act -- no VHS, no DVD, never played OTA or on CATV -- even though it was directed by William Wyler and nominated for 3 Academy awards. Even today, Amazon tells me the DVD was cut to ribbons -- clearly an effort to appease the PC crowd. This is a dark, disturbing film, even more so today in the wake of the gruesome kidnappings out of Cleveland.

But what a strange contrast! Watching young, hopeful college students competing for scholarships, striving to excel, while watching life and liberty slowly, methodically sapped from a beautiful young woman by this "Collector" pervert.

What I want to know is this: There's a scene toward the end, after four grueling weeks of ropes, chloroform and psychological torture, where Miranda (superbly portrayed by Samantha Eggar) desparately grabs a weed whacker and clobbers ol' Freddie upside the head. Then, with her abductor sprawled on the ground, prostrate and helpless, instead of finishing the job she recoils in horror at what she has done, and turns to flee. Of course, Freddie quickly recovers, and it's all down hill from there.

So is this normal?? There MUST be SOME reason these predators succeed, time and again, at capturing and holding young girls for months or years at a time. Look at the thriving sex trafficking industry! Is it normal for the female of our species to be so, so inept in the face of evil???

There's an old thread on IMDB. Subject: "If you were Miranda how would you have plotted your escape?" There was one poster (presumably male) saying she should have killed him with the ax. All other participants (apparantly female) were ADAMANT she needed to restrict all ploys to the psychological. They all agreed Miranda wasn't coy enough -- not quite clever enough to get Freddie to fall in love with her.

WHAT!?!?!?

In other words, every female on the planet better be at least fifty times better at psychology than the average male of the species, or else accept the fact they're slaves from cradle to grave -- unless, of course, you're lucky enough never to cross paths with one of these cretins.

Miranda was often left alone. There must have been a thousand opportunities for her to fashion some sort of crude weapon, so as to conceal it, then lash out with lethal intent when it was least expected.

What man, after even a day of wrongful imprisonment, wouldn't take great glee in eviscerating one of these vermin? Yet, even as life ebbed from her body, Miranda felt guilty. GUILTY that she inflicted a potentially mortal wound on her protagonist. She weeped and earnestly prayed for Fred: "Oh, please don't die. PLEASE don't die!" Apparantly most female viewers applaud this perspective. After all, she might be tried for murder! (What court would bother with petty details like ropes, and chloroform, and painstakingly constructed escape-proof dungeons?)

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the softer sex. I don't share the position of NOW: "The feminist perspective starts from the premise that women and men are constitutionally equal and share the same human capabilities. Observed differences therefore demand a critical analysis of the social institutions which cause them." Nope. I believe men and women are vastly different from birth, both psychologically and physically.

I also think it's time for every loving dad out there to put little Susie Snowflake on his knee and explain some of the brutal facts of life. You can pray for help or hope your abductor will have a change in heart, possibly dying in the process or losing 5... 10 ... 20 years out of your life. Or with a little planning, it might be a lot easier to kill the bastard.

Does anyone else see a problem here??? I'd like to hear your reactions.

Oh, in case you're wondering, Miranda dies, and Freddie moves on to another adventure. Maybe a working girl -- maybe someone like a nurse! -- will fit better in his collection.

[video=youtube;TtecXQ-nTJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtecXQ-nTJo[/video]

[I'm linking to this trailer, so those who never saw "The Collector" can get an idea what this blog is about. If you're psychologically unstable, it's best all around to avoid the movie.]

Rick