The Contenders for Simon's job

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Chris Isaak is the latest name to be thrown in the hat as the new Simon for Idol. He's probably the best one that I've heard mentioned, but I think they need to find a 'nobody' so he can make his own way. (or she)

Wait a minute here, how exactly is Chris Isaak supposed to be the new Simon?

Outside of the fact that he has a ton of experience in the music business, I really do not see him as being a very good fit as the guy who is supposed to take Simon's place.

So yes, i'd probably rather have a nobody in there than him.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Crish Isaak? Hmm, I agree with Astral on that...somehow that just doesn't seem right to me. No matter what, I think they are going to have a hard time finding someone to fill Simon's shoes, but I don't think Chris would even come close IMHO.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I think any attempt to cast a "new Simon" is ill-advised. Each person is unique; they're not playing roles; they're playing themselves. Trying to play someone else is never going to work.

Simon Cowell provided two major aspects: His experience as an A&R and producer; and his willingness to be bluntly disparaging when the contestant was inadequate. Those are the two aspects that need to be back-filled, in order to retain much of the value AI has traditionally created. At times, Kara DioGuardi has shown that she's capable of providing some of those things. Chris Isaac is not going to be able to help out, in that regard. He's not really a producer, and surely doesn't have any A&R experience. So if they do choose Chris Isaac, then truly DioGuardi is most properly Cowell's replacement.

I don't know if American is enlightened enough to be able to handle a woman being that blunt, and as a result I think DioGuardi's efforts to fill-in the gap left by Cowell's departure will be a failure. I believe that the lingering sexism in our society still prevents a woman from being successful being the sole contributor to that aspect, within a television competition show. I think DioGuardi and the producers, knowing the American audience, would know that, and would therefore not even attempt to have DioGuardi try, and its a damned shame, because I think in many ways she could be more constructive, in that role, than Cowell was.

Orrymain

They should get Adam Lambert. lol He's one of the few mentors that said anything worth while. This stuff about JoLo being a judge is ridiculous. Why on earth would she want to do this? She's mentored and just loved everyone.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I think any attempt to cast a "new Simon" is ill-advised. Each person is unique; they're not playing roles; they're playing themselves. Trying to play someone else is never going to work.

Simon Cowell provided two major aspects: His experience as an A&R and producer; and his willingness to be bluntly disparaging when the contestant was inadequate. Those are the two aspects that need to be back-filled, in order to retain much of the value AI has traditionally created. At times, Kara DioGuardi has shown that she's capable of providing some of those things. Chris Isaac is not going to be able to help out, in that regard. He's not really a producer, and surely doesn't have any A&R experience. So if they do choose Chris Isaac, then truly DioGuardi is most properly Cowell's replacement.

I don't know if American is enlightened enough to be able to handle a woman being that blunt, and as a result I think DioGuardi's efforts to fill-in the gap left by Cowell's departure will be a failure. I believe that the lingering sexism in our society still prevents a woman from being successful being the sole contributor to that aspect, within a television competition show. I think DioGuardi and the producers, knowing the American audience, would know that, and would therefore not even attempt to have DioGuardi try, and its a damned shame, because I think in many ways she could be more constructive, in that role, than Cowell was.
I wonder if this is one of the reasons they let her go? Very interesting post and I agree. Every female celebrity that I can think of that has that blunt, sarcastic and to the point attitude is not well-liked.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
They should get Adam Lambert. lol He's one of the few mentors that said anything worth while. This stuff about JoLo being a judge is ridiculous. Why on earth would she want to do this? She's mentored and just loved everyone.
She is doing it for the money, money and money in my opinion. She is not a talented singer so I don't see how she can really provide any constructive criticism. Well, I take that back. She may be able to mentor the contestants on fame and how to handle it and what to do and what not to do on stage....even so...there were just so many other choices that would have been a thousand times better than J Lo.

Orrymain

That's not the purpose of the show, though, to mentor on how to handle the fame. After all, they don't have the fame yet. I think her contract is just for one year, too, so we'll be starting all over again next season.