Question: The death of the Radio Shack U75r? Discontinued?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Looking around at the Radio Shack website this morning at antennas, I noticed that ALL the antennas on the outdoor antenna list are Antennacraft, except for 1 omni. Doing a site search for the u75r tuned up only the used manual. A Google search turned up the u75r, listed as "out of stock". The first comment notes they are hard to find and may be discontinued. (When I looked at the site, all pictures of their antennacraft antennas were missing)

This is (was?) my go-to antenna for those here that wanted a good locally available commercial antenna, and the one I have on the roof now has done well for me, getting 100 watt translators at 30 miles, while pulling in 65 watt translators at 10 miles off the back side - and also getting our one vhf lp channel 8 at about 30 degrees west of the north transmitters.

If anyone can confirm the demise of the u75r, please post here. Also if you know of any store that has a stash of them, I believe they will transfer to other stores no charge.

Also, what would your choice for a replacement antenna be, with similar design, specs, and price? Do any of the Antennacraft antennas make a good substitute? (They're one of the few local stores where I can walk in and walk out with an antenna that is good for my location)If it's discontinued, it's a shame the have discontinued one of their few remaining good products.

And radio Shack wonders why they're going down the toilet...
RadioShack-U-75R.jpg
RIP, u75r...
and Radio Shack, too?

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Feeling a bit nostalgic For Radio Shack products from the past? Google "Radio Shack catalogs" to see thousands of their products from1939 to 2005.. It's one heck of a cool site.

MrPogi

Staff member
I have been able to find that link on Google, but you can't get to it from the Radio Shack site. Did you notice that the clearance site here: RADIOSHACK U-75R Outdoor HDTV/UHF Antenna buy at Consumer Depot has them listed at $7.99 plus shipping? This is the reason I think it's discontinued. Shipping kills the deal, but I can get them to under $30 in the right quantity - say 5. You may get a great deal if you're closer, and they have a walk in center in Nashville, too.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I have been able to find that link on Google, but you can't get to it from the Radio Shack site.
That isn't true today: Outdoor - Antennas - RadioShack.com

The line up of antennas on the web site keeps changing as if they are trying to keep people from ordering ones that are out of stock until they can run a new production run. A few weeks ago they took down the listing for the HBU22, so just because it isn't listed at any given moment doesn't mean that it has been discontinued. In fact, a few weeks ago the listings were down to 14 antennas.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
So here's what I've found on the internet. These all seem to be overstock / surplus dealers, and are probably all the same place, in fact.

This place, overstockdealz, wants $8.07 plus high shipping, it seems to be a clone of the consumer depot site, and as best I can tell, it's in Tennessee.
OverStock Dealz - RADIOSHACK U-75R Outdoor HDTV/UHF Antenna

Consumer depot has them for $7.99 plus high shipping. But if I put 5-7 in my cart, the are just under $30 delivered to Utah. Not bad if you consider it's $35 plus state sales tax at Radio Shack. It's in Nashville, and they indicate that you can buy them at their warehouse. If you're close to Nashville...
RADIOSHACK U-75R Outdoor HDTV/UHF Antenna buy at Consumer Depot

This ad from craigslist seems to be the same place. Price is $10. pic shows an open u75r in what appears to be a warehouse, and there looks to be a big stack of unopened antenna boxes in the background.
RADIOSHACK U-75R Outdoor HDTV/UHF Antenna

So if you're in the NE, you'll pay about $25 with shipping. If you're in Nashville, you're golden.

So, who is close to Nashville and is heading to Utah with a trailer full of u75's? :dance:

Maybe it's time to call my sister, she's moving from Tennessee to Boise soon, and is a half hour from there... hmmm.

Anyway, it's not looking good for this antenna. Only Radio Shack would kill a product this good.
(Related: It's been around a LONG time - the 1977 catalog list it as the u75, and the price was $11.95)

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

i found 3 u-75r antenna's

i just found the only u-75r antenna here in stock at radioshack in the state of mn. there are 3 more in stock in a radioshack store in illnois. . happy hunting.
UPDATE: I found some for $7.99 each at RADIOSHACK U-75R Outdoor HDTV/UHF Antenna buy at Consumer Depot But the shipping will kill you! The delivered price winds up being close to the original price.

They buy and sell overstock / surplus. Sad. Really sad.