The End of Analog

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Figured I'd say a few words to say goodbye to our old Analog friend tomorrow.

Ahem, ahem...

You've brought us 68 years of pure TV entertainment on tap,
now tomorrow will start a new era of digital signals for more reality show crap.

And in the words of Piggie's signature, here is tomorrow's ultimate PSA for the Digital Transition,

:banplease:

=========

Aaron forgive me in advance for adding a picture to your post! Piggie :mad:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The days of 100 mile tropo skip are just about gone. The days of using pieces of wire as antenna is over. The ghosty pictures, fading and screeching sounds, all gone.

15 minutes left?

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Goodbye analog, heeelllllllllooooooooooo Digital :)

What are they going to say 50 years from now or so when they have the next transition?? What's the next big tech?? Goodbye Digital, hello hologram. :)

Piggie

Super Moderator

What are they going to say 50 years from now or so when they have the next transition?? What's the next big tech?? Goodbye Digital, hello hologram. :)
Well according to the now digital religious channels it will be a hello Holy Gram called the Rapture. .... Ok, bad joke....

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I wonder what they'll do at work since the breakroom TV is out of commission. We can only take so much watching of safety videos...

The only good video that's there, is a very informative video about how the Ernesto Gallo wines are made. I'm not THAT much of an oenophile, especially when it comes to plonk like that.

Digital is here to stay. No doubt about that. In the future, there would be a change out of ATSC into a better, lossless video encoding.

No, I want to say Goodbye, interlaced ATSC MPEG, hello MSU progressive.

Or hello to any one of the following in non-interlaced formats: Huffyuv, SheerVideo, Lagarith, FFV1, or CorePNG, if and when the PNG differentials encoding becomes more stable.

Holographic video would be terrible under the lossy MPEG/RealMedia/AVI/Quicktime video standards, artifacts would stick out like a sore thumb. The 2D video encoding would need to be taken out of the ugly interlace format, and not lose any data anywhere, before any attempt at holographic video would take place.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what they'll do at work since the breakroom TV is out of commission. We can only take so much watching of safety videos...

The only good video that's there, is a very informative video about how the Ernesto Gallo wines are made. I'm not THAT much of an oenophile, especially when it comes to plonk like that.

Digital is here to stay. No doubt about that. In the future, there would be a change out of ATSC into a better, lossless video encoding.

No, I want to say Goodbye, interlaced ATSC MPEG, hello MSU progressive.

Or hello to any one of the following in non-interlaced formats: Huffyuv, SheerVideo, Lagarith, FFV1, or CorePNG, if and when the PNG differentials encoding becomes more stable.

Holographic video would be terrible under the lossy MPEG/RealMedia/AVI/Quicktime video standards, artifacts would stick out like a sore thumb. The 2D video encoding would need to be taken out of the ugly interlace format, and not lose any data anywhere, before any attempt at holographic video would take place.
Will I need a new antenna for Holavision? Or will they be using sub space by then?
Not sure about a hologram, but the holodeck wiki states,

In recognition of a holodeck's potential usefulness as a real world device for combat training, research is underway to create such a facility.
:pop2: :alien:

Aaron, Do you have your noise makers and chips setup?:whoo::usa2::violin::welcome:
It's a party! Whoo hoo!! It's about time!!
Here's a couple of movies you might want to consider for that party:

The Retro section (when the TV world was new, and all...)
Episodes from the Ernie Koufax Show. (TV pioneer, censorship rules for TV weren't in place yet)
The Twonky (A TV comes to life, being a companion for a man)

For the standard fare:
Network (A TV network exploits an anchor's bad ratings.)
Poltergeist (Ghosts come from a TV to take a girl into their dimension)
Family Guy: Petergeist (Same as above, but with Peter as the victim)
Twilight Zone: What's In the Box (A coarse cabbie gets his TV fixed to show him killing his wife)
UHF (An ambitious jobless loser gets a break at running a TV station. Wierd Al and Michael Richards star in this movie.)
Jane White is Sick and Twisted (Hyper girl imagines a combat talk TV show host is her long lost father. Wil Wheaton, Colin Mochrie and other low-rate cult stars are in this movie.)
Pleasantville (Teens wind up in a '50s sitcom)
Truman Show (A guy finds out that life is his own TV show)
Videodrome (A cable TV programmer gets a new kind of show on his network)
Max Headroom (Futuristic TV reporter gets turned into an animated TV show host)

Last edited:
I'd like to see the Holodeck from Star Trek myself, holograms that you can touch, places far away right there and navigatable as if in reality.

Just think. i could create a holographic log home and deer friends plus seven Chrysler Fifth Avenues without even spending a dime nor leaving my living room.

OR i could even insert myself onto the Bridge of Voyager as i watch an episode lol