The LA Times Wants to Blacklist Ernest Borgnine for Not Wanting to See 'Brokeback Mou

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
The LA Times Wants to Blacklist Ernest Borgnine for Not Wanting to See 'Brokeback Mountain' - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

From the article:

..."According to the LA Times, Borgnine's sin was that he didn't care to see "Brokeback Mountain," the explicit film about a tragic love affair between two gay cowboys." ...

..."It appears that Borgnine is being accused of homophobia because he didn't want to see a movie that showed two cowboys having gay sex. It is as silly as being accused of hating Italian food because one will never see "Eat, Pray, Love."...

(PSSSST! What happened to freedom in the USA? WHY would a 90 year old American man be "required" to watch any movie he chooses to pass on?)

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Freedom is alive and well, and includes the right for anyone to be intolerant, as well as the right for anyone to condemn and even take action against intolerance.

And while being intolerant is a right, condemning intolerance is a responsibility.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Part of that article states:

The LA Times suggests that Borgnine should be denied a Screen Actor's Guide lifetime achievement award, one that the paper admits he has earned on his merits, because Borgnine won't see a movie about two gay cowboys. The LA Times infers homophobia from this fact, even though, so far as anyone knows, Ernest Borgnine has never publicly expressed any view about gay people one way or another.
This is insane. Borgnine has had a super career, and he's still turning out good work. To be blacklisted because someone of his era doesn't want to see a gay film is ridiculous. He deserves his achievement award. From Marty to McHale's Navy to his current string of Hallmark movies, he's proven.

What a joke by whoever is behind that McCarthy-like notion.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Orry,

I'm glad you read the article and recognise the absurdness of the attack toward Ernest Borgnine.

That makes two of us.

If I live to 90 years of age and for some reason someone wants to recognise what I accomplished over my lifetime -- and some radial pro-Martian group has a problem with it ... screw them!

This is a lifetime award and the man is STILL working. That over-doubles my respect for him.

Jim

bicker

DTVUSA Member
If I live to 90 years of age and for some reason someone wants to recognise what I accomplished over my lifetime -- and some radial pro-Martian group has a problem with it ... screw them!
I don't think that's really the issue though. No one really expects Borgnine to recant a lifetime of perspective. The point isn't directed at Borgnine but rather at the institutions that would seek to venerate him.

People don't think that institutions should reward people if they don't measure up to appropriate standards. It isn't necessary to agree with those folks; all that is necessary is to grant their objections as much respect as you expect them to show toward (in this case) Borgnine. It's hypocrisy to demand that they show Borgnine respect as a reflection of your beliefs and values, when you yourself don't respect their right to condemn Borgnine as a reflection of their beliefs and values.

As such, it is sufficient to say you disagree with their objections.