The Tonight Show

What's everybody think about Conan taking over? I've never really got much of his humor, but it also took me awhile to get used to Jay Leno. And I kinda liked Leno. Johnny Carson was just irreplaceable to me, guess I need to get those old Tonight Show DVDs. I don't think Conan has what it takes, but the world she's a changin, and I'm gettin kinda old so maybe that's my problem. Anyway just wonderin what every one is thinkin. :bolt:

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
My breakdown:

Johnny Carson = Late Night King, shows were unpredictable

Jay Leno = Funny guy, nice guy, shows were too predictable

Conan O'Brien = Different. Tries to be funny, and succeeds 55% of the time.

David Letterman = eh.

Jay's stand up and monologue were great, but his sometimes his humor would get tiring night after night. I'm a younger guy (late 20's) and I don't "get" Conan most of the time.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
No one was like Johnny. He'll never be matched. Leno survived somehow. Sometimes he was funny. The last show had a couple of really nice funny moments, but 1/4th of it was just a commercial for Conan and that means NBC is scared stiff. Johnny did zero promotion for Leno and he certainly didn't have him on his last show. It was pathetic. Conan will not survive the 11:30pm time block. I think he'll be gone in 5 years, if not less. Unless he grows a funny bone that is appropriate for an earlier audience. I don't like Letterman anymore than I like Leno, but he got a raw deal from NBC and everyone knew it, including Leno.

I seem to remember I sorta liked Conan on that show during the first year or so maybe, then he just kinda left me behind, I guess......dunno??? It's kinda the same with Craig, whatever that guys name is, on after Letterman. I kinda enjoyed him at first, and now....to me.... it's just kinda stupid. Leno's a good guy it seems, kinda funny, but I was kinda upset at first that he got that spot, but I guess he either grew on me, or I just got used to him. I think I'm gonna have trouble getting used to Conan. I agree with Cptla, only to me Conan hits the mark a little less than 50%. I just a country boy, not quite hillbilly truck driver, so what I think about it all don't mean much of nothin. Anyways, we'll see how he makes out........:bolt:

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny was irreplaceable. His interviews, monologues, and skits were great! CptlA hit the nail on the head, Carson was unpredictable. He was a master at being funny during unscripted moments too.

I've always considered Jay more of a comedian. If anything was ever tiring about his show, IMHO, it's that his interviews with celebrities rarely strayed from the typical nice guy mentality that he's known for. His last show on May 29th, was classy and impeccable, which was to be expected.

I don't mind Conan so much but I just don't get the "hip" and "smart" stigma that's been attached to his comedic style. Is it because he's a younger than Jay Leno or David Letterman because I just don't see it in his monologue...

I'll give Conan a try this next week, but he's got some big shoes to fill on "The Tonight Show":

Steve Allen (1954–1957)
Jack Paar (1957–1962)
Johnny Carson (1962–1992)
Jay Leno (1992–2009)
and now Conan O'Brien (2009-?)

Piggie

Super Moderator
Johnny was irreplaceable.....

I'll give Conan a try this next week, but he's got some big shoes to fill on "The Tonight Show":

Steve Allen (1954–1957)
Jack Paar (1957–1962)
Johnny Carson (1962–1992)
Jay Leno (1992–2009)
and now Conan O'Brien (2009-?)
I was too young to remember Steve Allen on, but I remember Jack Paar and how my Aunt that loved the tonight show. I can clearly remember her falling in love with Johny immediately. She thought Jack Paar was downhill from Steve Allen, which I can understand as I loved Steve Allen's stand up routines on early TV in the 60's. But when Johnny took over she was saved!

Now seems I am the odd guy out here. I always liked Letterman's humor, and like Craig Ferguson even more. Leno got boring to me a long time ago. I did switch it off between Carson and Letterman, but once Leno took over it was Letterman if I was going to watch that type of show late.

I mean you have to like Craig, who else has dinosaur and shark puppets with sparklers in the mouths on late night TV? :mad:)

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Now your starting to date yourself:D
I was too young to remember Steve Allen on, but I remember Jack Paar and how my Aunt that loved the tonight show. I can clearly remember her falling in love with Johny immediately. She thought Jack Paar was downhill from Steve Allen, which I can understand as I loved Steve Allen's stand up routines on early TV in the 60's. But when Johnny took over she was saved!

Now seems I am the odd guy out here. I always liked Letterman's humor, and like Craig Ferguson even more. Leno got boring to me a long time ago. I did switch it off between Carson and Letterman, but once Leno took over it was Letterman if I was going to watch that type of show late.

I mean you have to like Craig, who else has dinosaur and shark puppets with sparklers in the mouths on late night TV? :mad:)

Orrymain

Carson's ability to make a bomb into a huge round of laughter was awesome. He also was able to do something that neither Leno nor Letterman could ever do -- take a nothing guest and turn the tables. Leno and Letterman have never been able to take a bum guest and make it worst. They don't know how to handle the unexpected and the bomb, not like Johnny did.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Carson's ability to make a bomb into a huge round of laughter was awesome. He also was able to do something that neither Leno nor Letterman could ever do -- take a nothing guest and turn the tables. Leno and Letterman have never been able to take a bum guest and make it worst. They don't know how to handle the unexpected and the bomb, not like Johnny did.
But did he ever have a dinosaur and shark puppets singing and holding sparklers in their mouths? :banplease:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Or Andy Richter. :becky: Where did that guy's career go?
I don't remember Andy Richter... hmm..... Looked him up on the every answer you ever need site, Wikipedia. I don't recognize him but I never was a Conan watcher. Say he returned to the new Tonight Show with Conan. So he is back. (also notice the Wikipedia picture of him was taken in Gainesville FL, interesting)

Well I watched about 10 minutes of the new Tonight Show. I went back to PBS World and watched a show on sailing.

Now it just makes it easier for me to choose Letterman if I want that kind programming.

But I still vote for Craig Ferguson as the one I like the best at night. It's not for everyone, I just like his silly humor.

I asked my youngest kid (dating myself again) who is 25 male. He doesn't even really like that style of show, but his favorite was Jimmy Kimmel. I turned him on to Ferguson and now he says it's a toss up. He has no use for Letterman, a little for Leno but not much and doesn't like Conan either.

It's going to be interesting this fall when NBC looses an hour of prime time or not?

Orrymain

I watched part of the opening. I thought the running bit was campy. It's old and that concept has been done before. He looked nervous to me, stepping up and back several times. His humor isn't for the 11:30 audience in my opinion. I got bored very fast. I saw a little of Will Ferrell, but not enough to keep it on. Conan is not for me.

I watched part of the opening. I thought the running bit was campy. It's old and that concept has been done before. He looked nervous to me, stepping up and back several times. His humor isn't for the 11:30 audience in my opinion. I got bored very fast. I saw a little of Will Ferrell, but not enough to keep it on. Conan is not for me.
Agree. Will Ferrel was a great strong first guess for Conan though. You almost have to try not to be funny with Will, so I'm curious to see how Conan will fair tonight.

Piggie

Super Moderator
...... His humor isn't for the 11:30 audience in my opinion. ....... Conan is not for me.
To me these are the bottom lines. The first begetting the second. At least for me.

Just like as much as I like the silliness of Craig Ferguson, he would fail at 11:30. He is late night humor.

Orrymain

Yeah, that's it exactly. You have to know the time and the place. Letterman had to change when he switched time zones. How well Conan can adapt may determine his fate.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Yeah, that's it exactly. You have to know the time and the place. Letterman had to change when he switched time zones. How well Conan can adapt may determine his fate.
Nah, I don't think Conan should change or adapt. That's not his style. Anybody know if Triumph the insult dog is going to make an appearance. :)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody see The Tonight Show this evening (6-5-09) with Sammy Hagar? He was great. He's such an entertaining performer/singer in front of a crowd.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Anybody see The Tonight Show this evening (6-5-09) with Sammy Hagar? He was great. He's such an entertaining performer/singer in front of a crowd.
He was still pretty good after all these years. Did you watch (6-5-09) with Gwyneth Paltrow? How did you like her dress:eek: That was nice and her legs made a mighty fine ass of themselves:)