Thoughts On Wasteful And Misguided FCC Policy

dkreichen1968

Staff member
"Both times the TV industry was compliant and went along with the GRAND plan and the greater good.

Now the FCC wants to grab channels 46 thru 51 via the National Broadband Plan and this time it is not such a great idea. The FCC needs to rethink its priorities on this. Television has given America a huge payback over the decades. We get news, entertainment, disaster recovery, sports, educational content, local content and on and on.

Cable TV is a utility just as cell phones and ISPs. They give us no public service or extra community involvement. They are oligopolies and give you a bill each month.

But the big payback for TV is the multiplier effect on local economies. Put a car dealer or lumberyard on TV and within days there is a response and over time solid sales increases. What media can deliver this economic effect week after week, client after client? None I am aware of."

Radio & Television Business Report - Voice of the Broadcasting Industry

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
This is spot on, but preaching to the choir does no good.

Can I get an AMEN, brothers and sisters?

n2rj

Staff member
Cable TV is a utility just as cell phones and ISPs. They give us no public service or extra community involvement. They are oligopolies and give you a bill each month.
I don't think this is really true. Cable TV has been beneficial to local communities. In our town, the cable company gives free cable TV to libraries, firehouses and town hall. In some places they also connect schools to the internet via fiber for free. An antenna is difficult to use here. If you are in the valley, forget it.

I've also seen many more local ads for car dealerships and local small businesses on cable than I have on broadcast TV. The rates are cheaper and the advertising is more local. Over here our TV stations cover the entire NYC metropolitan area whereas a local cable company will cover just our county and a piece of the neighboring county. So you definitely see more local ads. I see ads for the local Jeep dealership and local restaurants and bars, variety stores, hunting and fishing stores etc. Then there is the community college's educational access channel, which provides free distance education to many.

I agree with the rest of the article though but I think to say that cable companies don't benefit local communities is very wrong.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
They don't give the library "Free" cable. You subscribe, you pay for it.

But yea, in your location, there's not much to be done in the way of "local" commercials on OTA.

n2rj

Staff member
They don't give the library "Free" cable. You subscribe, you pay for it.
I don't think so. They are allowed one outlet each at no cost per the franchise agreement. The cable already passes them and running a cable to them costs the cable company next to nothing. Even if we subsidize it via the subscription fee we are not subsidizing the full cost.

But yea, in your location, there's not much to be done in the way of "local" commercials on OTA.
There are plenty of places where local ads via cable make sense. Comcast Spotlight is the name of the ad service. When you think of it, cable advertising is the perfect place for local businesses to advertise. It costs less and you get a targeted audience on popular channels.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
There are plenty of places where local ads via cable make sense. Comcast Spotlight is the name of the ad service. When you think of it, cable advertising is the perfect place for local businesses to advertise. It costs less and you get a targeted audience on popular channels.
Of course if local businesses advertise on cable, I'll never see it!!!

n2rj

Staff member
hehe, I was going to say, nothing is free. Someone pays for it.
Quite true and this includes OTA tv. You pay when you buy products from advertisers or if you have cable or satellite through retrans fees.

But the point I was making is that the cable companies dont charge the library, schools or firehouse for cable, and you won't have to pay for it with your taxes.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
n2rj,

What is this unknown device or thing you refer to, called 'local newspaper'? :dancing:

Perhaps it is the printed sheet surrounding fish I buy at the market.

Jim

Last edited: