Time Warner To Introduce New Low Cost Tier

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Time Warner Cable to Test Cheaper TV Package

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/business/media/19warner.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

From the article:

"In an apparent attempt to retain cable customers who are thinking of canceling, or to woo back people who have already canceled, Time Warner Cable will start a trial of a lower-cost cable subscription package next week in New York City." ...

... "The slimmed-down package, called TV Essentials, is an experiment for Time Warner Cable and for the television distribution business, which generally bundles as many channels as possible at the highest price possible." ...

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Note that ESPN is not included. It has been hard for Pay TV services to craft a lower priced and popular package because (from the article):
Essentially, terms of ESPN’s standard carriage agreements mandate that the sports network must be offered on the first- and second-highest penetrated service tier.
So, should a plan WITHOUT ESPN become popular, they must include ESPN, adding $4.40 per subscriber. The rate for ESPN is the highest of all the networks, second highest being TNT at the relative bargain price of $1.03.

I'll say it again: THIS is the reason sports are becoming fewer and fewer on OTA TV, and one of the main reasons your PAY TV bill keeps rising. If you watch ESPN or not, your PAY TV dollars fund ESPN. ESPN then takes the money they extorted from you and uses that money to purchase the rights to the most popular sporting events.

I'm not a TV sports fan, and I always resented that my money was being given to ESPN, whether I watch it or not.

Also, this package doesn't include any HD content, and the price not much less than Dish packages that include HD AND ESPN.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
You USED to be able to get ala carte programming on C-Band dishes, but now its all packages and a few "mini packages".

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
It would be nice if cable television would become unregulated so that we could get some better competition in terms of packages and the like.

n2rj

Staff member
It would be nice if cable television would become unregulated so that we could get some better competition in terms of packages and the like.
Cable TV is for the most part unregulated. Only basic cable is regulated by the local franchising authority (city or town) and the FCC only regulates technical standards, equipment and cable modem service to some degree. Otherwise, cable is pretty much unregulated.

n2rj

Staff member
You USED to be able to get ala carte programming on C-Band dishes, but now its all packages and a few "mini packages".
C-Band was the best, master quality video and a lot of channels were free and in the clear. Now C-Band for home use has basically been discontinued. Cable networks are not interested in selling programming directly to home users anymore, and the companies that sold C-Band packages (NPS, Superstar) are now selling pizza dish instead of 4DTV. Motorola is shutting down 4DTV on January 4 (tomorrow!) but you can still get some channels via Comcast Quantum HITS. Not as many as before and Discovery and HBO are pretty much gone from CBand for consumer use.

C-Band is still viable for hobby use though, but for how long, no one knows.

Last edited: