Tivo and DirecTV sign deal and plan HD DVR service

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
TiVo and US satellite TV provider, DirecTV, have extended their existing partnership with a new, non-exclusive deal that calls for the companies to develop, market and distribute a new TiVo-powered HD DVR service to DirecTV customers.
Source: TiVo News: itvt

Looks like DirecTV and TiVo are going to develop a service for DirecTV’s broadband-enabled HD DVR platform which will also include TiVo’s Universal Swivel Search and TiVo KidZone. Should be available insecond half of 2009.

Kind of cool...going to have to save my pennies. ;)

aclowers

DTVUSA Member
I am not so sure this is going to be great news. According to the article link you just posted it Tivo is going to require DirecTV to pay a substantial fee each month for the service. Of course, they will turn around and charge it to us. I have seen the charges for Tivo go from $4.99 a month to $12.99 a month, already. I hate to see how much higher it can get. Of course that Tivo Kidzone, does have my curiosity peaked.

kaye

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Well I think that this is trying to compete better with the cable companies and the things that they are able to offer like on demand and such.I think this will end up being as expensive as cable is already.

It would be nice to have Tivo...but I am not going to pay an extra $15/month to have that service when I'm already paying $80/month. It's crazy how expensive things are...I think my DVR that I have will keep working...LOL.