TLC: "Cake Boss" is fake

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Ok. I'm going on the offensive here against the show Cake Boss. I've seen probably 7-8 episodes now and I must say, the whole show seems rehearsed. There are way too many things that "happen" while the cameras are rolling like dropping a cake down the stairs or the stupid pranks that the bunch pull against each other. A lot of the lines seem rehearsed too. They take every Italian cliche and stereotype and take it to the nth degree.

I think the show that clued me into believing the rehearsed scheme was the stripper cake show that Buddy and the crew had to make with out the mom seeing it. But she happens to come in at the perfect time after the cake is finished and in the refrigerator and says the infamous line, "No way, No how!"

:horse:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I don't watch this show, but TLC has really gone downhill as a network. I remember when their shows were educational in scope. Now they are more into the Gosselins and such ridiculous stuff.

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
I don't watch this show, but TLC has really gone downhill as a network. I remember when their shows were educational in scope. Now they are more into the Gosselins and such ridiculous stuff.
Yes, we feel the same exact way. It used to be more about "The Learning Network" type programming, but now it's gone the way of what I consider MTV programming. All reality TV with sex or conflict.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Ok. I'm going on the offensive here against the show Cake Boss. I've seen probably 7-8 episodes now and I must say, the whole show seems rehearsed. There are way too many things that "happen" while the cameras are rolling like dropping a cake down the stairs or the stupid pranks that the bunch pull against each other. A lot of the lines seem rehearsed too. They take every Italian cliche and stereotype and take it to the nth degree.

I think the show that clued me into believing the rehearsed scheme was the stripper cake show that Buddy and the crew had to make with out the mom seeing it. But she happens to come in at the perfect time after the cake is finished and in the refrigerator and says the infamous line, "No way, No how!"

:horse:
I actually like Cake Boss. :) Call me crazy.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I actually like Cake Boss. :) Call me crazy.
You're crazy!! JK.

Here's part of what I'm talking about. I mean it's so perfect that the mom walks right to where they're keeping the cake and reacts to it. The whole show is based on things like this and the fact that the pranks that are pulled always seem to work out perfectly against everyone but Buddy the owner.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6zt_OhWYE[/YOUTUBE]

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
You're crazy!! JK.

Here's part of what I'm talking about. I mean it's so perfect that the mom walks right to where they're keeping the cake and reacts to it. The whole show is based on things like this and the fact that the pranks that are pulled always seem to work out perfectly against everyone but Buddy the owner.
That was a great episode! haha, the bachelorette and her girlfriends were hot and pretty happy with the cake when Buddy took the robes off of the dancers.

G

I don't think anything on TV is completely, 100% true. And TLC just loves that reality stuff. FYI TLC, it's not 'reality', it's television.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I don't think anything on TV is completely, 100% true. And TLC just loves that reality stuff. FYI TLC, it's not 'reality', it's television.
Right but I have a problem with them though because they bill their shows as reality TV, but it's really not.

TLC is definitely not about documenting full reality and neither are reality shows, so I would assume there are many promptings in all reality shows. If it was true reality no one would watch.

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
Surprise surprise... It's sad but they plan and rehearse everything nowadays. Sometimes when watching live news I start thinking it may not be real! So what can you say about a show that's meant to entertain... Normal things are not fun and abnormal ones don't happen a lot. Ergo, fun has to be planned.

I used to watch Cake Boss all the time. I like to bake and thought that I could get ideas from watching it. Now I see exactly what you mean about the show being scripted. Today television is all about ratings instead of putting out quality information for viewers. I haven't watched the show in years and honestly don't feel like I'm missing anything.