To Watch or Not: You’re the Worst

A lot of comedic television shows come out each year and bomb tragically. Many don’t make it through their first season, let alone get renewed, which I think has subconsciously caused me to turn a blind eye to comedic television series premieres. You’re the Worst, a raunchy romantic comedy on FX, slipped incredibly far under my radar until I saw a commercial for the season two premiere.

You’re the Worst focuses on Jimmy and Gretchen, two cynical middle-aged people who do not believe in love or relationships. After running into each other at a wedding Jimmy is literally thrown out of, they decide to have a one night stand. It becomes quickly evident that their prickly personalities draw them towards each other like moths to a flame. Upon acknowledging their relationship can only end in ruin, they decide to go through with it anyway and continue to see each other. The show continues to follow their lives as the couple desperately tries to avoid human normalcy and falling in a serious relationship with one another at all costs.

Should You Watch It?

The Short Answer: Yes, but it’s definitely not for everyone.

Pros

• It’s Funny

The show had me laughing out loud during almost every episode. It’s cleverly written and is the very definition of a smart comedy. There are no fart jokes or attempts at cheap humor. It’s all well thought-out and the comedic moments are woven into the story so well that they never take you out of the narrative. The first thing a comedic television series has to do is make the audience laugh, and this one succeeds with flying colors.

• Great Chemistry

The chemistry between the show’s leads is good enough to make you think they could be a couple off camera too. (Even though I doubt they are.) They feel natural together and play off each other perfectly. You will without a doubt believe that they belong together and I think even viewers who don’t like the main characters will find themselves rooting for Jimmy and Gretchen’s relationship.

• Likable Supporting Characters

This show’s supporting cast are what take it from being a good show to a great one. They’re diverse, fleshed out and anything but typical stereotypes. Even if you don’t like the main characters, which you’re not really supposed to, you’ll probably find yourself coming back to the show just to see some of supporting characters. (I personally find Gretchen’s client hysterical.)

• Believable Situations

The way the characters react to situations is very believable. They’re not perfect people or scheming masterminds who come up with ridiculous answers to everyday problems just for comedic effect. The way they act and react to their situations and surroundings is incredibly believable and you’ll probably be reminded of past decisions you’ve made in your life as you watch through the first season. (Albeit those memories might be some you’d rather not remember.)

Cons

• Unbelievable Dialogue

One of the first things Jimmy says in the pilot is, “Do people really talk like that?” Later in the episode, when a kid asks him to hang out, he says, “… I’m beset upon at all times by a tsunami of complex thoughts and struggles, unceasingly aware of my own mortality and able to contemplate the futility of everything. And yet still rage against the dying of the light.”

While the dialogue, coupled with the cast’s amazing delivery, is the funniest part of the show, a lot of it is pretty outlandish. In my opinion, it’s easy to overlook and impressively written, but I’m sure some people won’t find it as enjoyable.

• Comedy is Subjective

The show has a biting, cynical comedic style and raunchy themes that I guarantee are going to turn people off to it before the pilot is halfway through. The main characters are incredibly pessimistic and flawed. While I personally love it, I know many people I wouldn’t recommend the show to because I know this style of comedy isn’t for them.

It's a show brought to you by FX after all. The same network that created Nip Tuck, Archer (Another favorite of mine) and Sons of Anarchy. FX simply doesn’t cater to sensitive sensibilities.

Final Thought

I binge watched the entire first season, which consists of ten thirty-minute episodes, and the first episode of the second season that aired last night. I love the show’s style of humor and can’t wait for next week’s episode.

The show is great but clearly not for everyone. I just hope the latter part doesn’t keep it from being renewed for at least a few more seasons.

You’re the Worst currently has a 90% critic rating and 98% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.2 on IMDB. The entire first season is exclusively available to stream on Hulu, and it currently airs on FXX, Wednesdays at 10:30 ET/PT.

Aaron62;bt2103 said:
Hmm, I keep hearing about this show. I may need to check it out.
I think FX didn't know how well it'd be received and were a little too low key with it's season one marketing. They definitely stepped it up for season two after all the positive critic reviews, and now a lot of people are talking about it.

I hoped the article helped you figure out whether or not the show sounds right for you, and feel free to let me know if there are any other shows you'd like to see reviewed.