Top 32” to 40” HDTVs for 2014

2014 is going to be a big year for hi-def television. 4k might finally make it onto the main stage and TVs continue to get smaller, clearer, and more affordable. If you are in the market for a decent sized HDTV in 2014, don’t make the mistake of not checking out one of these great options!

Samsung UN39FH5000 - 39” - $369.99
View attachment 3056

Samsung is one of the best known HDTV brands, and with good reason. This 39” TV is no exception and it offers an incredible amount of quality and size for the price that you are going to pay for it. It features 1080p resolution, a 60Hz refresh rate, 2 HDMI ports, and LED display technology.

What stands out about this particular model is that it is balanced all around. Many televisions come with sound that is almost perfect, but the picture is lacking, or vice versa. This HDTV comes right out of the box setup to have the highest quality audio and picture, including independent white balance controls that let you dial in the perfect picture, something that is hard to do with a lot of other options on the market.

LG LN5300 - 39” - $347.00
View attachment 3057

This model is just a little bit cheaper than the Samsung one above, but it offers just as much power surprisingly. The LED screen that it uses comes with full HD resolution at 1080p and it also has built in speakers to give you great audio even if you don’t have a complete home theater system.

The 60Hz refresh rate is standard for a lot of televisions, but that doesn’t mean the picture is just average. With the top of the line HD display, colors are crisp, the contrast is perfect, and there is never a need to worry about white balance. Other HDTVs in this price range suffer from pixelation or color issues, but not this one.

Seiki Digital SE40FH03 - 40” - $356.20
View attachment 3058

This is a lesser known brand unless you are an electronics geek, but that is usually a good sign that there is something good going on. If the nerds love it, you probably should too.

This model has a 40” screen with full HD 1920 X 1080 resolution, a 60Hz refresh rate, and a 16:9 aspect ratio. That makes it perfect for movies, but also for watching the next big game on a great television set. It isn’t a Smart TV like many people want these days, but for the price you get much more than you would out of a Smart model of the same size.

Sony KDL-32R400A - 32” - $318.72
View attachment 3059

Don’t let the size and price fool you. This is the smallest HDTV on this list, but the price seems a little close to the others that are much larger, doesn’t it? Trust me, that’s for a reason.

This television only has a resolution rating of 720p, but for the size that is actually not a problem. People make the mistake of wanting higher resolution from a TV that is too small to notice, which is why this is a great model. It has the same refresh rate as any other top of the line television and works perfect alongside a Roku or Apple TV, which is what many people are hooking up to it.

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
Can someone link me to a reliable place to look for screens around 32"? I'm looking for a screen for my bedroom in the next couple of months and I have a chunk of change to spend. Preferably stuff less than $225.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I can somewhat vouch for the Seiki brand, seeing as how that I've owned my Seiki 4K Ultra HDTV 39" for a couple of months now. Arrived with no dead pixels. Had to calibrate when it arrived, but an incredible TV set/monitor for the price. Using it as my second monitor right now for my Mac Book Pro. :)

I have the Sony Bravia and I have had it for over four years now. When I first purchased it I was very impressed with the picture quality. I have to say when it comes to my television purchases I tend to stick with the household names such as Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung. I may be missing out when it comes to names I don't know but so far I'm satisfied with the choices I've made.