Top Scams to watch for this Black Friday and Cyber Monday

Saw this article on 12 scams to watch out for the holiday season this morning, thought it was worthy of posting here.

Getting a bargain on Black Friday and Cyber Monday seems compelling. But with online shopping comes the risk of cyberscams.

According to Consumer Reports, cybercriminals have bilked $8 billion from consumers in the past two years. And as Americans open their wallets and their browsers for deals this week, scams and cheats are sure to increase.

To keep you safe as you shop, security company McAfee has broken down the 12 scams of Christmas, warning of the most common swindles crooks will use to try to sneak your wallet, your identity or access to your bank account. “These thieves follow seasonal trends and create holiday-related Web sites, scams and other convincing e-mails that can trick even the most cautious users,” warns Jeff Green, senior vice president of McAfee Labs.

Don’t let them get away with it! Never click links in e-mails, which can easily redirect you to false or misleading websites. If you create a new account to buy, say, a new sweater from J Crew, use a unique password with letters and symbols, rather than using the same password for all of your log-ins.

And of course, be sure to use security software from a respected company. PCMag.com recently rounded up the 2010 versions of software suites from the big names in security: McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, AVG, and more. Most packages run $50 to $80—a small price to pay for peace of mind as you shop.

Scam I: Charity Phishing

During the holiday season, hackers take advantage of citizens’ generosity by sending e-mails that appear to be from legitimate charitable organizations. In reality, they are fake Web sites designed to steal donations, credit card information and the identities of donors.

Scam II: Fake Invoices from Delivery Services

During the holidays, cybercriminals often send fake invoices and delivery notifications appearing to be from Federal Express, UPS or the U.S. Customs Service. They e-mail consumers asking for credit card details or require users to open an online invoice to receive a package. Once completed, the person’s information is stolen or malware is automatically installed on their computer.

Scam III: Social Networking Friend Requests

Cybercriminals take advantage of this time of the year by sending authentic-looking “friend request” e-mails from social networking sites. Clicking on links in these e-mails can automatically install malware on your computer or steal your personal information.

Scam IV: Holiday E-Cards

Cyber thieves cash in on consumers who send holiday e-cards in an effort to be environmentally conscious. Last holiday season saw phony Hallmark e-cards and McDonald’s and Coca-Cola holiday promotions. Holiday-themed PowerPoint attachments are also popular among cybercriminals.

Scam V: Holiday Jewelry

McAfee Labs recently uncovered a new holiday campaign that leads shoppers to malware-ridden sites claiming to offer discounted luxury gifts from Cartier, Gucci, and Tag Heuer. Cybercriminals even use fraudulent Better Business Bureau logos to trick shoppers into buying products they never receive.

Scam VI: Online Identity Theft

As bargain hunters surf for deals using free wireless networks at the local cafe, hackers can spy on their activity and steal their personal information.
Scam VII: Phony Websites
During the holidays, hackers create Websites for people searching for holiday-related wallpaper, Christmas carol lyrics or festive screensavers. Downloading holiday-themed files from these sites may infect one’s computer with spyware, adware or other malware.
More here: Shopping on Cyber Monday? Beware the 12 Scams of Xmas - Cybersecurity - FOXNews.com

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Scam III: Social Networking Friend Requests

Cybercriminals take advantage of this time of the year by sending authentic-looking “friend request” e-mails from social networking sites. Clicking on links in these e-mails can automatically install malware on your computer or steal your personal information.

-----------------------------

Had a friend that got his facebook account hacked with an email like this. He's not the most technically inclined person but he sent me the email and it looked pretty official except for the link they sent him was masked as another website.

"Very nice reminder to be safe out there during the holiday season. Make sure your anti-spyware and anti-virus are up to date, too. " No worries here....PCLINUXOS!!!!:applause:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
There are a lot of suspicious emails going around all the time. I actually had two today that were like 'hey, wow, hi, long time no see" and then the person saying they'd created a card for me. Never heard of these people. I just deleted them. You have to be so careful.

spokybob

DTVUSA Member
I have been bombarded with Facebook, MySpace & Yahoo friend requests lately. Good thing that I have been ignoring them. One of my Facebook friends mentioned the same thing. Hmm.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Another way they scam you are if you play the app games. Not the games themselves, but things too good to be true like free gifts or trade gifts with friends. They are not normally endorsed by the developers of the games. Most of the time you find yes you get gifts but you can't import them into your game app. Once you join these they can read all your posts, etc, hoping to scam some information. Even a name matched to a valid birthday will get them in some banks, etc.

I myself don't use my real birthday, graduation date, nothing on myface. People I know know who I am and the rest, oh well if they never find me.

Almost all the financial institutions I deal with ask me my Name, Date of Birth, Address. All this stuff is in most people's facebook accounts. Of course most banks also use SS# or a password, but still you are giving them nearly all the information they need to pretend to be you.

Call me paranoid, because I am... They really are out to get you............