Top Streaming TV Player?

U

Unregistered

What's the best streaming TV player to get right now? Roku 3, Apple TV 3rd gen, or should I spend a little more and get an HTPC? I've heard good things about the Roku 3 in terms of getting free content but I have a iPad and iPhone that I'd like to be able to stream from and only the Apple TV 3rd gen does that right?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Here's my quick breakdown on streamers...

1. Roku - Most free content, and with the addition of PlayOn service will add tons of content from actual network websites.
2. Apple TV - Really good, but you're going to pay for most of the content on it. I have an Apple TV and Roku. I use the Apple TV mostly for airplay and mirroring my iPhone.
3. There's nothing else comparable in the category.

Jim 9

DTVUSA Rookie
What's the best streaming TV player to get right now? Roku 3, Apple TV 3rd gen, or should I spend a little more and get an HTPC? I've heard good things about the Roku 3 in terms of getting free content but I have a iPad and iPhone that I'd like to be able to stream from and only the Apple TV 3rd gen does that right?
A Blu-ray or Apple TV as a streaming player are good choices. Both of these devices provide an excellence in streaming as well as other uses.

A Blu-ray has the ability to control all of your disc-based media (Blu-ray, DVDs, CDs) and they are capable of streaming-media players with support for apps such as; Netflix and Pandora.

Another streaming player, Apple TV, allows for you to play 1080p HD videos from Netflix and iTunes, listen to music and store photos from iCloud. Apple TV also provides video streaming through the use of AirPlay.

Had an apple tv and agree with what other people have said. It is good but you are paying for a lot of the services. Roku is probably a much better option at this point.

We haven't used Apple TV in a while although we do have a fair bit of content in our iTunes cloud. We typically (as a family) just watch the iTunes content on a tablet though and don't attempt to stream it anymore. Do you think Roku boxes provide more than the typical WiFi capable DVR now, or about the same?

I have both Apple and Roku streaming boxes, i'm happy with both.

If the objective is to stream from Netflix, Hulu+ or Hbo, both a Apple TV or a Roku have dedicated apps available (to me, the apps look better on a Apple TV).

But if someone intends to use Amazon Prime or Vudu for instance, these services are only available on a Roku.

On the other hand a Roku doesnt allow the use of use iTunes, and doesnt have Airplay.

The best scenario nowadays is to have one of each .... :)