Trend suggests 'pay TV' may be dying

dkreichen1968

Staff member
ATLANTA -- It still thrives across America. But cable TV died in Steve Bransford's Inman Park home this summer. He and his family killed it.

"We had Comcast forever. I mean ten years," Bransford said. "And this summer we cancelled our cable."

But the Bransfords still watch plenty of TV. He attached an Apple mini-computer to pick up and DVR over-the-air broadcast TV.

"The quality of over the air broadcast is superior to Comcast because the Comcast (high definition) signal is so heavily compressed," said Bransford, an Educational Analyst for Video at Emory University. "Whereas, the over-the-air signal is pristine."

Bransford also has Apple TV and Google TV, plus a box called a Roku. Add Hulu and Netflix, and it all delivers a melange of TV programming that nearly mimics the family's long-gone cable package, while saving nearly $100 a month.
Read More: Trend suggests 'pay TV' may be dying | 11alive.com

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
nearly mimics the family's long-gone cable package, while saving nearly $100 a month.
They're only missing a (very) few shows, and have to wait for others - but watching whats on the internet is On their own schedule, without the monthly fee for a DVR.

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
They're only missing a (very) few shows, and have to wait for others - but watching whats on the internet is On their own schedule, without the monthly fee for a DVR.
So true. At least DirecTV is starting to smarten up with the Whole Home DVR, instead of making people rent more than 1 DVR. I have to pay $15 for each one for my home.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I wish Comcast would do that. The only thing they've changed is that they don't have multiple 'technology' fees now like they used to.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
"The quality of over the air broadcast is superior to Comcast because the Comcast (high definition) signal is so heavily compressed," said Bransford, an Educational Analyst for Video at Emory University. "Whereas, the over-the-air signal is pristine."
Imagine that.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I really don't see myself going back to pay TV, because of cost. Even if I had the money, I don't watch enough TV to justify the cost. Once I get my own house, I plan to get a C-Band/Ku-Band dish to add some additional FTA programming (though selection isn't as good, but it's something. For what might be interesting on the pay TV channels, I might watch them online. In the case of DirecTV & Dish Network, they overall refuse to add subchannels, except for maybe a top 4 network that's on a subchannel. Some salespeople also claim I don't need the antenna because they offer the local channels (to them, only the main channel). For me, I can't do without WTTW Prime, because there's more programming I like on WTTW Prime than the main WTTW channel in Chicagoland.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0