Trouble getting HDMI to work on DTVDVR

bjorn773

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I recently started using a DTVPal DVR. I am trying to use the component outputs for my main tv and the hdmi on an upstairs tv. I have been using the coax output to drive the 2nd tv, but the picture is horrible. So I bought hdmi to cat5 baluns and ran cat5 cable. The dvr does not recognize there being any hdmi connected in the diagnostics test. The tv does not detect a signal from the hdmi cable. I switched the hdmi/cat5 cable to a dvd player and it worked great on the tv. Is there a secret to getting the Pal's hdmi to turn on? The component outputs are working fine on the main tv, by the way. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, the software was just updated last night, no change. Thanks, Bjorn

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I recently started using a DTVPal DVR. I am trying to use the component outputs for my main tv and the hdmi on an upstairs tv. I have been using the coax output to drive the 2nd tv, but the picture is horrible. So I bought hdmi to cat5 baluns and ran cat5 cable. The dvr does not recognize there being any hdmi connected in the diagnostics test. The tv does not detect a signal from the hdmi cable. I switched the hdmi/cat5 cable to a dvd player and it worked great on the tv. Is there a secret to getting the Pal's hdmi to turn on? The component outputs are working fine on the main tv, by the way. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, the software was just updated last night, no change. Thanks, Bjorn
I'm not 100% sure if this will work, but unplug the DVR, connect the HDMI/CAT5 cable and then plug the DVR in. The DVR should reboot and recognize the HDMI connection.

bjorn773

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I tried that last night. Do you think unplugging the component cables would have any effect? I'm wondering if the baluns have anything to do with it. I guess I need a better understanding of hdmi. Is it bidirectional or just a one way tranmission?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I tried that last night. Do you think unplugging the component cables would have any effect? I'm wondering if the baluns have anything to do with it. I guess I need a better understanding of hdmi. Is it bidirectional or just a one way tranmission?
HDMI is bidirectional. I haven't tried plugging both component and HDMI into my DTVPal DVR, but it shouldn't make a difference. What make and model are your baluns?

bjorn773

DTVUSA Jr. Member
They are cheap baluns I bought off ebay for $35. I suppose you get what you pay for. I hate to shell out more $$ for baluns if it's an issue with setup in the dvr. I guess I could dismount the tv, bring it downstairs, and buy a short hdmi cable to test it out with. Would the dvd player still use the bidirectional capabilities of the hdmi? It seem to work fine.