Trouble tuning to ONE particular station, signal strength ok

Jennapoo

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have an Apex converter box that I've had hooked up and working sufficiently since the spring. Now, suddenly, it won't tune to a station that has signal. The station's .2 and .3 versions are there but if I tune to this particular station the signal is acquired for maybe 1 second before it goes to a grey screen, won't respond to the remote for about 15 seconds then bounces back to some other station. Only happens with this one station, all other tuning seems ok. Doesn't seem to matter if I arrow up/down, enter number or navigate from the guide.

I've tried rescanning, unplugging, and 4-letter words . . . all to no avail. Before I go buy another (hopefully better) converter I'd like to know if anyone knows what this problem is and if it is fixable.

Thanks for any insight :)

Frustrated,

Jenn

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I'm taking a wild shot in the dark and assuming you are referring to KSPX in Sacramento. Does 29-4 work?

- Trip

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Trouble tuning to ONE particular station

Describe your antenna system. Is it inside or outside? Are you using RG-6, RG-59, or something else? How many feet of cable?

Jennapoo

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Antenna Set up - RCA ANT525 (Inside amplified rabbit ear). I'm not positive but I think the cable is RG-59. I didn't go and buy it, its just what has come w/ various components. Less than 6ft of cable.

None of this has changed from when it worked and now. Again, it's not that the channel doesn't "come in" - there is good signal strength. It just won't display it for more than a second or two before the grey screen of death.

Trip

Staff member
Next time the stations are working, let me know if 29-4 works or not in addition to 29-1.

- Trip

Jennapoo

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Trip -
Yesterday it tuned in 29.1 ok. Today no 29.1 or 29.4 but 29.2 and 29.3 seem to work.
IDK if that means anything to you. To me it seems random -
Thanks.

Trip

Staff member
Interesting. I have a hunch, but no way of confirming it, and it wouldn't help you even if it was right.

In the PSIP, the data I have from several months ago shows TSReader was unable to determine the Extended Channel Name for 29-1 and 29-4, claiming it was unsupported. 29-2 and 29-3, however, had no problem determining Extended Channel Name. I wonder if this is causing your converter box to have problems.

I'm sure that whole paragraph meant nothing at all to you, but I really don't know how else to simplify it besides "their signal might be screwed up."

- Trip

The Apex boxes also have really bad signal meters. i've found when i have zero signal it's still bouncing around 50-90-100% even though it's not getting any signal. for some reason it 'hunts' in the range as if it were there. in either case, it's probably at their end, your end, or both.

My Samsung has artifacting on 'RTV-25' WEHT-DT 25.2, VHF channel 7. but the signal is well beyond 100%.

I am in Dallas, Texas and I'm experiencing the same problem with only qubo also. All the rest of the channels work but qubo, channel 68.2. I have three different converter boxes and the problem only happens on two of them. The Airlink 101 & the Apex have the problems, but my Zenith works just fine. It's so weird.

is the Zenith hooked to a different TV? in that case the problem could be with the cabling or connections to those two.

also, not all boxes work as well. one will pick up perfectly while the other won't. i had similar experiences with my Zenith denying any reception with any type of signal fluctuations, while my Magnavox worked fine.

some boxes have signal requirements and require higher signals than others. the Magnavox MW9 works with a signal as weak as 18-22% while my Samsung HD Tuner requires at least 50% signal to pull in a picture.

Trip:

I did a signal strength calibration of an Apex DT502 and noticed the same problem with WPXV-DT ION from Norfolk 49.1-49.4 on RF 46. Actually, I tried 3 502s and they all acted the same way. My Sony KDL-22L5000 and Centronics ZAT502 HD were both able to decode all 4 MUXes. But, the Apex WAS able to decode WHRO-TV PBS 15.1-15.3 on RF 16.

When I tune thru RF46 with the audio of my SLM turned on it doesn't sound the same as the other digital signals.

There is obviously something lacking in the Apex, but I'm wondering if there is also something lacking in the ION signal.

I don't have a tuner card or USB tuner with TSReader, but if somebody in the Norfolk area did have that setup, would it show a problem with the ION signal if there was one?

Last edited:

Trip

Staff member
I had forgotten about this message, but over the break my father complained about the same thing on the one Apex box we have (Thanks, rabbit73 :)) and it's the ION station too. This pattern suggests a nationwide incompatibility between the Apex box and ION stations. I'll see if I can learn anything about it.

TSReader showed nothing abnormal and I called and spoke to the local ION engineer and he knew nothing about it.

- Trip

Each of my three boxes are hooked to a different TV.

So I tried a couple of things. First I tried to connect the Airlink Receiver to rabbit ears instead of the rooftop antenna. It did the same thing with Qubo. I reattached it to the rooftop antenna and was able to a signal check before it greyed out and turned off. It jumped from 80% to 60%. I then disconnected the Airlink and the Zenith and swapped them. The Zenith worked fine like always, and the Airlink did the same thing, turned off. I tested the signal strength on the Zenith and it was almost all the way to good, it does not have a number, just bad or good.

I have not swapped the Apex to try it.

The Apex boxes also have really bad signal meters. i've found when i have zero signal it's still bouncing around 50-90-100% even though it's not getting any signal. for some reason it 'hunts' in the range as if it were there. in either case, it's probably at their end, your end, or both.

My Samsung has artifacting on 'RTV-25' WEHT-DT 25.2, VHF channel 7. but the signal is well beyond 100%.
This isn't exactly on "on topic" but it should be expected to find artifacting and or pixelation when the signal is too high. Signal that is too high in digital systems causes them to lose signal. This is where the real "cliff" is found.