Truly Free TV

Chips

DTVUSA Member
Truly Free TV
From This article, McAdams On: Truly Free TV
“The Internet is becoming to television what Walmart was to small towns.”

The above article has an interesting perspective from an OTA standpoint. But for the record I have an old laptop hook-up to my TV to watch content from the Internet. In particular PBS since I don't get an OTA PBS station.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
"Truly Free" implies no monthly costs. If you're watching on the internet, that's not "Truly Free" now, is it? Broadband costs minimum of about $40 a month. Even if you are living in a dorm and using the college internet, you are still paying for the broadband one way or the other.

As the article points out, OTA is paid for by advertising. Many internet users are using services that strip out the advertising, thus making it difficult to monetize internet sources. Eventually, most of these sites will either be shut down (using RIAA - type tactics) or be forced to charge users.

An antenna remains the only "Truly Free" way to watch TV.

Last edited:

Chips

DTVUSA Member
"Truly Free" implies no monthly costs. If you're watching on the internet, that's not "Truly Free" now, is it? Broadband costs minimum of about $40 a month. Even if you are living in a dorm and using the college internet, you are still paying for the broadband one way or the other.

As the article points out, OTA is paid for by advertising. Many internet users are using services that strip out the advertising, thus making it difficult to monetize internet sources. Eventually, most of these sites will either be shut down (using RIAA - type tactics) or be forced to charge users.

An antenna remains the only "Truly Free" way to watch TV.
Point well made broadband is not free, neither will the National Broadband Plan, provide free broadband. However you often get broadband for a reasonable price if you ask, many providers have tier prices which they don't advertise, currently I pay with taxes $26.00 a month for 1.5 megs down, which is enough for want I want to use it for and that is through Time Warner. The way I look at it if you have children in school, or a business, you have a use for broadband. Besides how would I keep up with the current news on spectrum and OTA without the Internet? And if I have need for broadband why not use it for video? But to subscribe just for a video source would be a whole different story.

MrPogi

Staff member
Even OTA isnt truly free, but I dont want to start that debate.
OTA is paid for by advertising.. I know, I pay for it in the end, but I don't get a bill in the mail for it. And I'm sure the "Premium" I pay on products to subsidize TV programming is very small indeed. Everybody who buys "brand x" is paying for free tv, even if they don't watch, therefore my own personal cost is pretty low.

If "brand x" stopped TV ads, I think the price of "brand x" product would remain about the same.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
We'll, there is also the fact that public broadcasting is tax supported. And, then there is the Cortez, CO market where the translators are tax supported. (But, a few taxes for 70 channels sure beats cable.) ;)

Companies that advertise their products would continue to advertise their products even if TV no longer existed. They advertise on cable, and people pay to watch!

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
Cortez, CO market where the translators are tax supported
Awesome market!
My translators are supported by taxpayers; in 2 counties in 2 different states - and they can't work together. Therefore I have duplicates of many stations, while other stations (CW and ION, among others) may never get translators, because the 2 counties have pretty much eaten up all the available spectrum by not cooperating.