Trying since friday night

wags

DTVUSA Rookie
:yell: i have a 1988 goldstar tv, i have a rca converter box and a philips
antenna, i have been trying to hook this up since friday night, im not
stupid when it comes to these things, but this is really killing me, the antenna has 1) black twin lead and 1) gold twin lead, do i connect both of these, i tried every configuration, scanned channels, giving up, help, in new jersey (shore area)

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Your converter is connected to the TV and you're able to pickup the menu off of it to scan?

When you say that the antenna has a twin lead, what are you using to connect it to your converter? With a adapter? Want to make sure you're not trying to still connect it directly to the TV too.

Telling us what television you have doesn't help the problem because the television is not using it's tuner to receive the signals.

The converter box receives the signals.

Telling us that you have a RCA converter box and a Phillips antenna does nothing to help us either.

RCA converter boxes are junk.

Do you have a indoor antenna or a outdoor antenna?

If you are talking about rabbit ears antenna's, then that is your first problem.

Most all channels has been moved up into the UHF range of frequency.

UHF is much harder to receive.

You will probably need a outdoors antenna and a antenna rotor. Maybe even a antenna pre amplifier. RG 6 wire, not 300 ohm twin lead wire.

You will probably have to be willing to spend money to buy a better converter box, antenna, wire , rotor, mast kit, pre amplifier etc..

Anyone that thought that all they had to do was buy a cheap converter box and hook it up to their existing antenna and would still be able to receive all the channels that they could with analog television - is in for the surprise of their life.

I live 60 air miles away from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and watched 2, 4, 11, 13, 19, 40, 48 and 53 for many years.

I have spent $400 on a new antenna and upgrades and cannot receive not even one of those channels with my converter box, antenna, rotor, wire, pre amplifier. Due to the fact that I do not live in their coverage area.

UHF transmits about 40 air miles, anything past that and your guess is as good as mine.

We would have to know where you live and what stations you are having problems receiving.

wags

DTVUSA Rookie
Your converter is connected to the TV and you're able to pickup the menu off of it to scan?

When you say that the antenna has a twin lead, what are you using to connect it to your converter? With a adapter? Want to make sure you're not trying to still connect it directly to the TV too.[/QUOT

yes i can pickup the menu off of it to scan (nothing) it is an indoor antenna, uhf/vhf/fm/hdtv with rabbit ears and oval antenna all in one, rf cable is into vhf on back of tv, black twin leads antenna is into uhf screws and the gold twin leads i have into 75ohm attached to converter, this is just suppose to be a hang around tv for the computer room ! thanks!!!!!!!!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member

When you say that the antenna has a twin lead, what are you using to connect it to your converter? With a adapter? Want to make sure you're not trying to still connect it directly to the TV too.[/QUOT

yes i can pickup the menu off of it to scan (nothing) it is an indoor antenna, uhf/vhf/fm/hdtv with rabbit ears and oval antenna all in one, rf cable is into vhf on back of tv, black twin leads antenna is into uhf screws and the gold twin leads i have into 75ohm attached to converter, this is just suppose to be a hang around tv for the computer room ! thanks!!!!!!!!
Sorry your having issues. Completely eliminate the twin lead from the system. Disconnect the RF cable from the TV input and connect it to the CECB antenna input. Connect the short RF cable (coaxial cable) from the CECB output to the TV VHF input. Let us know how it works.