Trying to get HDTV reception in SF peninsula area

das

DTVUSA Rookie
Hello,

I live in San Carlos, CA and am trying to find an HDTV antenna that will pick up at least the 4 major networks (ABC, CBC, NBC and Fox) plus PBS. I tried a cheapy AVANTEK AR53 antenna from amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S88RJYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but it only picked up independent stations and PBS.

Here are my tvfool and antennaweb reports:

TV Fool
AntennaWeb - Stations

Any recommendations for antenna would be great. I think I am also hampered by my Samsung TV that will only auto tune. Why they did not provide manual tuning is beyond me.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Do you have an east facing window? Try putting your antenna in it. If it doesn't work, or you don't have a window that faces east, post again and we'll try something else.

Many but not all Samsung televisions will do manual channel entry. You need to enter the real channel number as listed on the TV Fool report. Virtual channel numbers do not exist until a signal is found, and have nothing to do with the frequency a signal is being transmitted on. Example in my area if I enter 35 on the remote and a signal is found on real channel 35 the TV will display virtual channel 2.1 if the signal is found, or no signal if the antenna is not adequate. This feature is not documented in the owners manual. This works on both my Samsung, and Panasonic televisions. I do have to re-enter the real channel number frequently when adjusting an antenna, and searching for a signal, but it is faster then doing a complete channel scan.
I am also well aware that there are televisions that do not support direct channel entry, and it is inconsistent even in the same brand.
An east window should get you the line of sight stations in that direction.
Steve

das

DTVUSA Rookie
I don't have an east facing window close to the TV, just south and west. I am thinking my only recourse will be a roof mounted antenna on the other side of the house from where I have a pretty wide open view to the east, though the terrain here is very hilly. How long of a cable run can I reasonably use? What antenna is best for this application? I am trying to cut the cord, but the lack of reception is throwing a wrench in the works.

Thanks for the responses, this forum is a great help.

das

DTVUSA Rookie
Many but not all Samsung televisions will do manual channel entry. You need to enter the real channel number as listed on the TV Fool report. Virtual channel numbers do not exist until a signal is found, and have nothing to do with the frequency a signal is being transmitted on. Example in my area if I enter 35 on the remote and a signal is found on real channel 35 the TV will display virtual channel 2.1 if the signal is found, or no signal if the antenna is not adequate. This feature is not documented in the owners manual. This works on both my Samsung, and Panasonic televisions. I do have to re-enter the real channel number frequently when adjusting an antenna, and searching for a signal, but it is faster then doing a complete channel scan.
I am also well aware that there are televisions that do not support direct channel entry, and it is inconsistent even in the same brand.
An east window should get you the line of sight stations in that direction.
Steve
Thanks Steve, I will give that a try once I settle on a new antenna.

We suggested an east window because the strong line of sight signals in your area are to the east, and it seems that the building you are in is blocking even the strong signals. An out door antenna could open the door to the entire group of signals to the north west at about 330 degrees. The signals from that direction are are not line of sight they are 2Edge meaning there are 2 hills in the way. The signals are high VHF, and UHF. The high VHF signals require a larger antenna to receive. On an out door antenna I would suggest an Antennacraft HBU series antenna, or Winegard HD769x series antenna aimed at about 330 degrees.
Winegard HD7697 High Definition VHF/UHF Series TV Antenna (HD7697P) from Solid Signal
AntennaCraft UHF/High-Band VHF Outdoor HDTV Antenna (HBU44) from Solid Signal
There are smaller and larger antennas in both of those product lines the links provided are my suggestions. 2Edge signals can be tricky, and require some experimentation with placement, and aiming.
On the small low cost side you could try a Stellar Labs 30-2440 or one of the smaller Antennacraft HBU antennas HBU33, 22.
Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs
On a direct run to one TV 50 feet of RG6U coax is normally not a significant loss problem.
Steve