Question: trying to get san fransisco tv from apartment in sausalito

dupres

DTVUSA Rookie
my apartment is on the second floor. The broadcast site is 9.8 miles away at approximately 160 degrees. The outside wall faces away from the broadcast site at 320 degrees. There is another apartment across a hall in the direction of the broadcast site and between my apparent and the broadcast site. There is a large hill a block away and in the direction of the broadcast site- it is easily taller than my apartment building. we are not allowed to attach anything to the outside of the building.

is there an indoor antenna that will work under these conditions?

TV Fool

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Based purely on your TVfool I'd say no, but radiowaves do things that TVfool doesn't perdict. (i.e. I have signals TVfool says should be weak to nonexistant in my area that are actually quite strong.) I'd get a cheap antenna like a RCA ANT-111 and start "sniffing" for signals (moving the antenna to different spots and running channel scans on the TV or converter box). Once you know if there are any receivable signals, we can help you size an antenna to work (or not).

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
dupres,

Does your apartment have its own deck or patio area? If it does, you have the right to put a 'temporary' outdoor antenna in that location per Federal Law. As an example, its supporting mast could be set in a bucket full of rocks. There is a special 'flat' coaxial cable adapter that allows the cable to pass through a window frame or door jam without drilling any holes in the Landlord's wall.

The following link explains your rights. Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov

Jim

G

The DTV GreenDish will radiate through the building. Contrary to the nonsense advice your gettin you will be pretty impressed check out htguys podcast review july 13th

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
If the Green Dish "will radiate throughout the building" I want to see the Federally required FCC type-acceptance paperwork allowing retransmission of TV signals.

Dan is correct, just more nonsense ...

Last edited:
The DTV GreenDish will radiate through the building. Contrary to the nonsense advice your gettin you will be pretty impressed check out htguys podcast review july 13th
I believe in your GreenDish!

"I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
But now I know the meaning of true love
I'm leaning on the everlasting arms

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

[Chorus:]
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly"

I know how you do it, too. I have it on the best authority that your Dish tracks the moon at all times. Everything bounces off the moon. Even when the signal has to pass through the earth, the signal is very weak, but extremely clean. The holes in the GREEN CHEESE on the moon act as a FILTER!

I can't get into all the technical details at this time, due to the nondisclosure agreement I had to sign. But I BELIEVE! Revolution is around the corner.

Rick

Last edited:

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
my apartment is on the second floor. The broadcast site is 9.8 miles away at approximately 160 degrees. The outside wall faces away from the broadcast site at 320 degrees. There is another apartment across a hall in the direction of the broadcast site and between my apparent and the broadcast site. There is a large hill a block away and in the direction of the broadcast site- it is easily taller than my apartment building. we are not allowed to attach anything to the outside of the building.

is there an indoor antenna that will work under these conditions?

TV Fool
TV reception is more of an art than it is a science, so the only way to truly know is to give it a try.

Go to Wal-Mart or such and get an amplified indoor antenna (Wal-Mart will let you bring it back if it does not work) and give it a try. It might work wonderfully, it might fail miserably. If it fails, get a small outdoor antenna and try that. Keep moving up until you get the reception you need.

BTY, I think TV antennas make marvelous objects d'arte.