Turbo HD (1080P) from Dish Network

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried it? 1080P video resolution??

It looks like the 1080p video resolution upgrade will be done by firmware update to DISH’s MPEG-4 HD-DVRs. Their on Demand VOD service will also be available to subscribers at 1080p.

With the extra amount of bandwidth needed to deliver the signal, TurboHD will use a new type of encoding to increase data transmission and frame rates.

As of Friday August 1, 2008, DISH will add 17 new HD channels to its current lineup which totals 114 HD channels, 100 of which will be nationally available. DISH also plans to match rival DIRECTV’s plans to have 150 HD channels available by the end of 2008.

The all-HD packages using TurboHD will be available in three service tiers, Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Twenty five bucks get one 40 all-HD channels and it goes from there. DISH also says that current subscribers can add HD programming for as little as ten bucks.
More information at: http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/dish-network-1080p-august

higg

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Amazingly i just started reading about this turbo hd. The University of Michigan Rated Dish Network with a 65(which sounds bad, but the best right now is a 68.) Dish network seems to be making big for improvement. In this study big cable came back at the bottom of the list. I'm interested to check this out myself. Though i am currently under contract i will soon see it.

Taki

DTVUSA Member
There is nothing turbo about 1080i 1080 is the standard for HDTV today where I live. The deal is if DirectTV wants to compete against the growing FIOS internet access network and the content that will be provided on the web at 1080i then they will offer 1080i. I just don't see how they are advertsing this as new when my monitor that is 2 years old and cost about $600 supports 1080i and a friend who has a 42" HDTV that supports something called QUADTV. Its something like 3800x2499 or something like that. Now that would be true turboHD. lol

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
On August 1st, 2008 "I Am Legend" was the first movie ever to be shown on a cable or satellite television service at 1080p resolution. It's apparently available on their VOD network which is kind of like Pay Per View. So is 1080p only available on their VOD network, or is Dish Network going to start broadcasting 1080p on their HD channels too?

Here is DishNetwork's latest HD Channels:

ActionMax HD
CBS College Sports HD
Lifetime HD
Lifetime Movie Network HD
Planet Green HD
Encore HD
HBO 2 HD
HBO Comedy HD
HBO Family HD
HBO Latino HD
HBO Signature HD
HBO West HD
HBO Zone HD
Starz Comedy HD
Starz Edge HD
Starz Kids & Family HD
Starz West HD

Taki

DTVUSA Member
I won't pay for VOD. I can order blueray dvd's on my Netflix account for the same as regular DVD's until Dish gets with the program and stops trying to bilk its customers for a extra dollar or two here and there for stuff like that, they can just keep it.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Have you guys seen this "Turbo HD" DVR Unit from Dish, the VIP 622? (2) satellite television tuners, which will support two television sets in different locations.

Other specs:

DVR Record Time
standard definition - 200 hours or

high-definition - 30 hours

Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound

REAR PANEL CONNECTIONS
2 satellite tuner inputs
1 UHF Pro remote control antenna input for
included antenna

1 ATSC antenna input for off-air digital/HD broadcasts
1 telephone jack
1 USB 2.0 port (PocketDISH compatible)

1 Ethernet port

3-prong power cord

Attachments

Taki

DTVUSA Member
Nice set. Dish told me here that I didn't have sky access to get HD though. They say you have to have access to five, yes five satellites to get it. :(

aclowers

DTVUSA Member
Wow, is that 5 satellite dishes or 5 LNB's?
It's 5 satellites. They told me the same thing. I was checking around between Dish Network, Direct TV & Comcast Cable to upgrade to HD service. Dish Network came out and said even though my current dish was on the back balcony, they would have to put their dish up in the front yard near the road. They also told me that the stations don't even broadcast 1080p, yet. This was only a month ago. Of course, maybe that was just that particular technicians opinion.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Correction:

Sorry I am new here and was just going through everything and never saw anything updated or corrected on this.

For you to get all your basic plus HD channels, you need to be able to see 3 satellites.

Yes, thats 3 not 5!

For most folks in the eastern US, you need a Dish 500 plus an extra dish (a 300 or a 500 with only one lnb attached) or a new one dish solution was recently added, the Dish 1000.4.

In the west, or west of the Mississippi for the most part, a Dish 1000.2 is your Dish.

The two dishes for the east looks at 61.5, 110 and 119 orbital positions.
The Dish 1000.4 for the east looks at 61.5, 72.7 and 77. MPEG-4 receivers are a must for this set up.
The Dish 1000.2 for the west looks at 110, 119 and 129.

This is the set-ups for the contiguous 48 states.

AK, HI, VI and PR use other larger dishes but they cannot get everything the rest of us can.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Correction:

Sorry I am new here and was just going through everything and never saw anything updated or corrected on this.

For you to get all your basic plus HD channels, you need to be able to see 3 satellites.

Yes, thats 3 not 5!

For most folks in the eastern US, you need a Dish 500 plus an extra dish (a 300 or a 500 with only one lnb attached) or a new one dish solution was recently added, the Dish 1000.4.

In the west, or west of the Mississippi for the most part, a Dish 1000.2 is your Dish.

The two dishes for the east looks at 61.5, 110 and 119 orbital positions.
The Dish 1000.4 for the east looks at 61.5, 72.7 and 77. MPEG-4 receivers are a must for this set up.
The Dish 1000.2 for the west looks at 110, 119 and 129.

This is the set-ups for the contiguous 48 states.

AK, HI, VI and PR use other larger dishes but they cannot get everything the rest of us can.
Thanks for clearing that up Yes616. Just curious, are you a Dish subscriber?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
You need 5 LNBs to receive the basic package, the HD package and your HD local stations on Dish Network. This has been the case for approximately 18 months.
Amazon.com: DirecTV KAKU 5 LNB AT9 Satellite Dish Antenna For Hd Local Markets: Electronics

It looks like another addition to the Dish Network VOD 1080P program lineup.
DISH Network's 1080p video-on-demand service may be impressive, but up until now, it hasn't been utilized in any fanciful ways to get outsiders to pay attention. Thanks to a new push from A&E Networks, however, that's all about to change. Said channel's new drama, The Beast, is now available to DISH subscribers with an MPEG-4 HD box via the 1080p IP-VOD platform.
A&E brings 'The Beast' to DISH Network's 1080p IP-VOD service

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Thanks for clearing that up Yes616. Just curious, are you a Dish subscriber?
Yes I am. I have the 2 dish deal. A dish 500 with 2 LNB's and a Dish 300 with one. The 500 looks at 110 and 119. The 300 is aimed at 61.5.

You need 5 LNBs to receive the basic package, the HD package and your HD local stations on Dish Network. This has been the case for approximately 18 months.
Amazon.com: DirecTV KAKU 5 LNB AT9 Satellite Dish Antenna For Hd Local Markets: Electronics

It looks like another addition to the Dish Network VOD 1080P program lineup.

A&E brings 'The Beast' to DISH Network's 1080p IP-VOD service
I think you are only thinking about DirecTV. Not Dish.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
1inxs:

I thank you for clearing my name. lol

When dealing with Dish CSR's, you must know what you are talking about before you pick up the phone.

You double have to worry when you get someone who says their name is Eric but you could swear they sounded like it was Mohamed! lol

You come to forums like this to be prepared before you make calls to either trouble shoot or change your programming. You want to know what to expect before hand.

Anyway, back to the subject. To get that 1080p movie, you must have a ViP series DVR and a look at all the birds I mention above. Find channel 501 and you will find nearly 10 of them. Only one is 1080p and it is noted in the program guide.

At $7.00 per PPV HD movie, they can keep it.