TV Antenna Stores?

U

Unregistered

There aren't a whole lot of local TV antenna stores. I went to Radio Shack yesterday and there selection of outdoor antennas was pretty limited. Are there any other stores besides SolidSignal? I just want to run some price comparisons before I make a purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

n2rj

Staff member
I've found most TV antennas sold in brick and mortar stores to be crap, to put it mildly.

Online, you can check out our sponsor, TV Antenna Source - Denny's Outdoor TV Antennas - digital/HDTV

Solid Signal is another good choice.

In local stores I've found antennas at Lowe's and Home Depot but both of ours have stopped stocking antennas. Makes sense since none of the antennas they sold reliably picked up anything since we are so far away from the transmitters.

Radio Shack may stock them too as Dan mentioned but you might have to ask for it as some stores don't have them on display and store them in the back.

I've also bought antennas on Amazon.com. I have prime so I get free 2 day shipping.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I have to note that until my local Radio Shack closed in a "retirement sale" I purchased from them simply because I knew they were locally owned and operated. (The USB hard drive connected to my computer was purchased from them, I had my sister purchase her copy of Microsoft Office from them, etc.) They stocked a fair amout of OTA antennas, but they never got the potential. (They could have stuck an antenna on the roof and would have gotten all the full powers from Colorado Springs and Denver.)

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I've found most TV antennas sold in brick and mortar stores to be crap, to put it mildly.

Online, you can check out our sponsor, TV Antenna Source - Denny's Outdoor TV Antennas - digital/HDTV

Solid Signal is another good choice.

In local stores I've found antennas at Lowe's and Home Depot but both of ours have stopped stocking antennas. Makes sense since none of the antennas they sold reliably picked up anything since we are so far away from the transmitters.

Radio Shack may stock them too as Dan mentioned but you might have to ask for it as some stores don't have them on display and store them in the back.

I've also bought antennas on Amazon.com. I have prime so I get free 2 day shipping.
Some Lowes stores aren't carrying antennas at all. I know a couple of my local Lowes stores stopped carrying them, due to low sales. I managed to get a medium sized RCA antenna (old-fashioned element antenna) ANT3020XR model for around $13 on clearance, & originally sold for around $65 locally. I haven't decided where it might be mounted, but I was using that antenna at work to watch TV on weekends, until someone (I believe the now 1st shift supervisor, who was the temporary 3rd shift supervisor) complained about it, & was told not to bring it to work anymore. I used it indoors, & couldn't get any VHF station inside the building, but got select UHF stations with it. I know I can get something on it when it gets mounted.

My local Menards stores carry RCA antennas, but used to carry Philips antennas. The RCA antennas seem to be a bit better than the Philips antennas. I still prefer Antennacraft or Winegard antennas, & only Radio Shack carries Antennacraft antennas local to me in limited stock. What they don't carry, they'll order onlne, & give people the option to have it shipped to the store for free, or have it shipped to a person's home. Otherwise, outdoor antennas must be ordered online. Solidsignal.com has the largest selection & even carry some discontinued antennas (while supplies last) as well. Summitsource.com also has some antennas, but they're phasing out their Winegard lineup & they even seem to be phasing out Eagle Aspen as well, since both brands aren't in large quantities anymore. They seem to be focusing on selling more Antennacraft antennas. I have for antennas an Antennacraft CS600 for VHF & Winegard HD9032 for UHF.