TV booster's and antennas recommends

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
I wouldn't recommend either one of those, and combining them together would be an especially big mistake. Cascading amps, one after another, is a recipe for DTV overload.

That antenna is sold under several different brand names, and poster after poster has reported the same thing about its performance: There's one or two channels they just can't seem to pull in with it, regardless of location.

You do have two VHF stations: WJLA 7.1, the ABC affiliate, and WUSA 9.1, an NBC station. What you need is an inexpensive pair of VHF/UHF rabbit ears, like this:

That's RadioShack's budget rabbit ears. Be sure to check out the discount and dollar stores, too, because you may be able to come up with something even less expensive than the RS model, but just as effective.

Without an amp one of those cheapies as pictured above would be great outdoor antennas and you can sit one outside the window on the sill or even put it on the ground (yes i said ground) that way you won't violate any rules/laws/parent's wishes, plus without an amp you'd be surprised how great these so-called 'indoor' antennas do their best work 'outdoors.'

I had to 'separate' my antennas though, having one of those as pictured had a tendency of having VHF break up because the dipoles (the long rods) would be in such close proximity of the UHF Ring and the vice versa would happen to UHF. if you adjusted to fine tune a VHF channel you'd run the risk of also messing up one or more of your UHF channels. for that i had my UHF antenna outside on the roof and the amp goes to it (because UHF seems to be useless without one here at my end) and the dipoles are indoors and used on some sort of UHF/VHF splitter that ends in one connection to the converter. that way my only VHF channels (9.1 PBS(real channel 9) and 25.1/2 ABC/RTV(real channel 7) work even if i have to adjust the UHF antenna, and not affecting the VHF reception, or vice versa. being farther apart helped to reduce interference between the bands.

Last edited:

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
You might also want to get a coax cable up to 12 feet in length, plus a "barrel" coax connector, to extend the reach of the antenna's cable. Sometimes placing an antenna in front of a window greatly improves reception, and sometimes other places in the room work really well, too. Don't be afraid to experiment with many different locations if need be.

If that antenna doesn't work, return it to RS and try something else from their product line. Hang on to the packaging and sales slip, and they'll take it back up to 30 days after the sale or delivery. Keep the extra coax and barrel connector for use with the new antenna(s). Just stay away from anything with an amplifier, OK? Built-in amps are usually noisy, and so they tend to create more problems than they solve.

sillyshy

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Should I buy the

Model 50723
or
278-979
278-965

Also the connector
278-282

You might also want to get a coax cable up to 12 feet in length, plus a "barrel" coax connector, to extend the reach of the antenna's cable. Sometimes placing an antenna in front of a window greatly improves reception, and sometimes other places in the room work really well, too. Don't be afraid to experiment with many different locations if need be.

If that antenna doesn't work, return it to RS and try something else from their product line. Hang on to the packaging and sales slip, and they'll take it back up to 30 days after the sale or delivery. Keep the extra coax and barrel connector for use with the new antenna(s). Just stay away from anything with an amplifier, OK? Built-in amps are usually noisy, and so they tend to create more problems than they solve.
I bought online can it be returned in store? Does RS offer

coax cable up to 12 feet in length, plus a "barrel" coax connector,

Witch once would you recommend? That are "cheap" budget

Last edited:

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Either 278-979 or 278-965 would be fine. Get the 278-304 connector instead of the 278-282 coupler, though. RS isn't the only place that sells this stuff; you may also be able to find these items for less at a local Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, Wal-Mart or similar store.

RS will take the antenna back at any of their stores, but as I understand it, they will only issue a credit to the card account used for the online purchase. They won't refund cash.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
While Im not contradicting the good advice given by Don and Piggie here.

Both of the products in your first post are good products, I hae a Motorola BDA-S1 and an RS DA-5200.

The question is, are they appropriate for your particular situation. And Don and Piggie have answered that question for you. They certainly arent appropriately used together as the RS Antenna has an integrated amplifier.

Piggie

Super Moderator
What you need is an inexpensive pair of VHF/UHF rabbit ears, like this:

That's RadioShack's budget rabbit ears. Be sure to check out the discount and dollar stores, too, because you may be able to come up with something even less expensive than the RS model, but just as effective.
They live in a problem situation. One station so strong it will destroy weaker stations if the antenna has an amp as it will surely overload.

Then the other stations in the 40 NM range which could actually use a small suburban outdoor.

I should have added this earlier but the antenna I think works best in this situation is the Terk HDTVi without the amp.

Amazon.com: Terk Technology HDTVi VHF/UHF HDTV Indoor Antenna: Electronics

Something to think about anyway. I have seen this antenna solve more indoor problems with this type of TV Fool plot than anything else indoors.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
The Motorola BDA S1 (and S2 and S4) the number indicating the number of outputs, is a low noise GaSFet amplifier designed to handle cable frequencies as well, and alos 2 way traffic on a cable modem. 2db noise.

sillyshy

DTVUSA Jr. Member
update

Well I bought the cheap antenna and like my other's amp or not they all still give me ************. No luck. I think I may need cable. I did however buy the RG6 Coaxial Cable and the RG6 twist-on connector made my Philiphs so is the antenna bought all at walmart the RG6 twist on connector will not connect with my antenna using the cable what am I doing wrong or did I buy wrong item?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Well I bought the cheap antenna and like my other's amp or not they all still give me ************. No luck. I think I may need cable. I did however buy the RG6 Coaxial Cable and the RG6 twist-on connector made my Philiphs so is the antenna bought all at walmart the RG6 twist on connector will not connect with my antenna using the cable what am I doing wrong or did I buy wrong item?
Something common to installing the F connectors is, cutting too deep when removing the outer insulation. If you cut too deep and don't get the connector screwed in real deep, it fails to make a connection. I would recommend going to a TV installer supplier and purchasing the exact length of RG6 cable you need. Have them install the F connectors with a crimper. It will cost you less than Walmart and you'll know it is correct. They can test it before you take it home. What town are you near?

Last edited: