TV channel display question

garyh

DTVUSA Member
Assume I can pick both real channel 2 and 7 (both CBS) with the Winegard 7084.

The TV wants to display both on channel 7. Which one would I be watching????

RabbitEars.Info

Could this "interference" be why I currently get intermittent short "black outs" using my current antenna, Winegard 7694?

TV Fool

Or, does 7694 completely reject Lo-VHF? I'd like to give the 7084 a try to fix my current CBS problem, but I'm not sure it will help.

Thanks,
Gary

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Different TVs have different schemes for dealing with virtual channel conflicts. Some display both channels as the virtual channel next to each other. Others will display the first channel scaned in (the lowest real channel) as the virtual channel and the second one using the real channel number. Some tuners will have an area that will tell you what real channels the stations are broadcasting on.

The blackouts may be caused by fading. Moving the antenna to a different location may be all that is needed to fix the problem. Going higher with the antenna, if possible, would be a good idea. The Winegard 7694 doesn't reject low-VHF, but it probably doesn't have enough gain on channel 2 to pull it in.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Different TVs have different schemes for dealing with virtual channel conflicts. Some display both channels as the virtual channel next to each other. Others will display the first channel scaned in (the lowest real channel) as the virtual channel and the second one using the real channel number. Some tuners will have an area that will tell you what real channels the stations are broadcasting on. ...
My Sony Bravia displays the first received channel and ignores the second one: by this, I mean to say (example) if real channel 18 coming from the south is detected it is memorized by my Sony but if there is a second channel 18 elsewhere, it is completely ignored unless I wipe the TVs memory with a complete tuner rescan. Frustrating.

Jim

garyh

DTVUSA Member
Tried everything that I can reasonably do. Many different antenna locations, at somewhat different heights, but all probably within 3-4 feet (height wise). Everything within reason.

That's why I want to try to pull in real 2 instead of real 7 with the 7084.

With only 20 watts & being over 20 miles away, real channel 2 would never be reliable enough for regular viewing. The slightest bit of interference would be a deal breaker even with the best antenna. TV Fool is WAY overly optimistic with Lo VHF, especially super noisy channels 2, 3 & 4.

Assume I can pick both real channel 2 and 7 (both CBS) with the Winegard 7084.
You're thinking of buying yet another antenna?? Did you check things out with a different receiver as I suggested after our long exchange here... http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-reception-antenna-discussion/49019-what-does-mean.html

The TV wants to display both on channel 7. Which one would I be watching????
That's your job to determine. If you can't find out by watching the channel, then you need to buy a TV (or a converter box) that provides that basic information.

Rick

garyh

DTVUSA Member
You're thinking of buying yet another antenna?? Did you check things out with a different receiver as I suggested after our long exchange here... http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-reception-antenna-discussion/49019-what-does-mean.html
That's your job to determine. If you can't find out by watching the channel, then you need to buy a TV (or a converter box) that provides that basic information.

Rick

You sound like my wife. "Another antenna?" :)

I don't have access to another receiver at this house. So, it's buy one or the other, and I thought an antenna would be my best bet. However, I wasn't aware Lo-VHF is more difficult to receive, in general.

Does anyone have experience with the HD Homerun for use as a tuner in place of the TV?

Thanks...

Edit: or how about this?
Channel Master CM7001

Last edited:
Edit: or how about this?
Channel Master CM7001
I like the Insignia NS-DXA1-APT, which I found on eBay, manufacturer rebuilt, for under $30. That shows the RF numbers just fine, and it has an excellent tuner. Your price will depend on patience and competence on eBay. I think a Channel Master converter or the Homerun will run a bit higher. You can learn a lot about the different models by searching this site. n2rj was very excited about the Homerun a few years ago ... http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-chat/32110-hd-homerun.html

As always, wait a few days for some real experts to chime in. Don't rely too much on moi. Although if nobody calls me out after a week, you can pretty much figure I stumbled on the Truth.

Rick

dave73

DTVUSA Member
With only 20 watts & being over 20 miles away, real channel 2 would never be reliable enough for regular viewing. The slightest bit of interference would be a deal breaker even with the best antenna. TV Fool is WAY overly optimistic with Lo VHF, especially super noisy channels 2, 3 & 4.
That's no lie. I'm not sure if WOCK-CD Chicago has upgraded to 1kw, but I barely got them from Gary, IN at only 300 watts. Because that station is weak, I must have my VHF antenna at the top, instead of at the bottom, since I'd prefer to have my UHF antenna at the top (only 1 full power VHF in my market).

Now for the 7694 & 7084 debate, that depends on where some is at in the country, what stations they want, & what size is needed. Unless you put the 7694 on a very high tower, that antenna is not optimized for stations more than 40 miles away or signal challenged areas. That type of antenna is ok for someone in my area who is 30 miles from Chicago, & only want Chicago full power stations. If you need VHF-Lo, then this antenna is not right for your area. The 7084 is a deep fringe antenna, optimized for stations that are more than 40 miles away (can get away with using this in areas 30 miles from stations too, & this antenna is needed in my area for the weak LPTV stations, but not as much for full power stations). Since this is optimized for VHF-Lo, it might be possible to get that weak translator on RF 2, but I can tell you that reception is iffy. I find that you almost always need a pre-amp on an antenna for anemic LPTV VHF stations (sometimes for UHF too, though UHF offers more power at up to 15kw). Unless the op really want to try & get W02AD-D on RF 2, then maybe he should consider the Winegard HD7697 or 7698, as that's optimized for getting RF 7 at nearly 43 miles from your home.