Question: TV Converter Box Coupons

I need to get some Converter Box Coupons. I never did receive any and do not have any Digital TV Service. I am unemployed and on FoodStamps due to a seizure in May. Please send to: (Address deleted by Moderator). I sure would like to watch some TV. Respectfully, Brenda

Last edited by a moderator:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Brenda,

WELCOME to the forum, and the world of free TV!

I am sorry, but the government $40 coupon program has been over for months. The "coupons" were actually like pre-paid debit cards that expired 90 days after issue. If you should happen to have one, or if you find one of these coupons for sale on Craigs list or Ebay, they are all expired and worthless.

That being said, you still have a number of options:

Try the local Thrift stores: people often give them to charity when they no longer need them. Garage sales are also a good source, as people upgrade their old TVs. Make sure to CHECK them out to be sure they work! Sometimes they will have no remote control, but you can buy a replacement remote for about $10.

If not, Best Buy still sells them and there is one at Wal-Mart ($38, online only, w/ site to store) or you can try Ebay, using our Auction-bot, at the bottom of the Forum page. Check on your local Craigslist.org too.

If you are near the Canadian or Mexican border and currently receive analog signals from foreign stations, or if you have been receiving a LP analog translator, the Converter Box needs to have a function called "analog pass thru" for it to be able to receive those stations. Many Canadian and Mexican stations are now converting to digital in the near future. If You need a box with pass thru, but can't find one, you could use an "a-b" switch to switch from digital to analog.

Make sure you have a proper antenna for it, rabbit ears don't work very well. We can help you out with selecting the right antenna for your location.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

DTVUSA Forum Staff

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Brenda,

Check the thrift stores first. Then the Wal-mart $38 box is your next best offer, but you will need an antenna. Like Jim said rabbit ears may not work for your area, but there is a chance that you could built an antenna cheap. Chris here has some interesting designs. DIY TV Antennas - Free HD Digital TV Antenna Plans

It will all depend on your area. Posting the link (web address) to your TVfool profile would help. TV Fool