TV Maker Sharp posts 1.3 Billion dollar loss

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
April 8 (Bloomberg) -- Sharp Corp., Japan’s largest maker of liquid-crystal displays, posted a wider-than-forecast 130 billion yen ($1.3 billion) loss as the slump in electronics demand forced the company to shut plants and write down gear.
“We are facing falling prices for LCDs and LCD TVs, and a slowdown in sales growth of those products,” Katayama told reporters in Tokyo. “Also, we are losing our competitive edge in the LCD business at our old LCD TV factories.”
Source: Sharp Posts 130 Billion Yen Loss, Wider Than Forecast (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

The home entertainment electronics industry is going through a major cooling down period. (Note Pioneer's surprise decision to shut down production on TV sets completely in February: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/television-sets-flat-panel-dlp-crt/1599-pioneer-quit-selling-tvs.html)

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Looks like the USA isn't the only Country with a slowing economy. The good news from all this is the super deals on home theater products for those that have spending money. Time to upgrade the HT room:thumb:

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Running errands this afternoon, there was some appliance store advertising $750 for a 42" plasma! it's probably only 720p, but still that is cheap!

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
It is the whole world running on slow economy and that is why great companies have problems selling their stuff.

Who you buy something and run into debt, if loosing the job right now is closer than ever.

andrew25

DTVUSA Member
There are some market indications that LCD sales would soon rise up as in the last month's end sales started to pick up. Demand for computer LCD monitors is not dying down and it is believed to be fueling LCD sales worldwide.

SuzanaD

DTVUSA Member
That is very sad to hear. I always buy their tvs and they are really nice. They are excellent quality. I am looking to buy another one really soon. I love Sharp.