TV News: Local TV Up, Cable Down In Pew News Study

Great post! I'm glad the study puts its finger on what annoys viewers about cable TV news channels. It isn't necessarily the side of the political spectrum they come from, but the fact that they privilege editorial opinion over reporting. If you think about it like that, MSNBC is as guilty as Fox News (though not morally or ethically as culpable for creating hate in America!) for making cable news a place of political rhetoric not journalism.

Funafuti

DTVUSA Member
The potential within the idea of a 24-hour news channel is miles removed from what is actually being done with the format. It's really really sad. Imagine how excited Edward R. Murrow, Fred Friendly and their crew would be to have the opportunity to produce broadcast news content that existed as the main point of a channel's existence rather than something to squeeze between entertainment shows. Then imagine showing them Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC. It's completely pathetic.

The potential within the idea of a 24-hour news channel is miles removed from what is actually being done with the format. It's really really sad. Imagine how excited Edward R. Murrow, Fred Friendly and their crew would be to have the opportunity to produce broadcast news content that existed as the main point of a channel's existence rather than something to squeeze between entertainment shows. Then imagine showing them Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC. It's completely pathetic.
I agree. These channels should be beacons of in-depth investigative journalism with no limits or restrictions on how much they can probe into a story or issue. Instead, they eek out the time with conjecture, rhetoric and performance. They've become a substitute for entertainment rather than a break from it. I remember an old colleague of mine saying that 24-hour news is not a natural state for television, and will die out. CNN is starting to emerge as a documentary channel and I think MSNBC could do the same.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Watching "Anchorman 2" last night reminded me of this quote:

Fox News... it's like watching a Disney movie about the news.