Question: TV not handling explosion scenes??????

eddie

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi- I have a Samsung LN40C630K1F (40in, LCD 120 hz 1080p) and I was watching "Red" through on demand. I noticed that when there were explosions or gun shots at night, the picture would end up being "boxy" or pixalated. Pretty much like old video games were. Can anyone fill me in on if this is a tv issue or cable signal issue? I don't have a blu ray so I can't play a blu ray to see how things look. It is a new tv, cable box connected via HDMI and the picture is really good with the HD channels (the few that comcast has). This is my first new tv in 10 yrs, so I don't know much about the new tech.

Thanks for your insights!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It may be a product of Comcast's compression of the HD on demand signal. That sounds like what is going on. They have to compress the signal so it doesn't use too much bandwidth on their system. Where you see "compression artifacts" (boxy pixalation) the most is in action scenes (explosions). I believe the on demand stuff uses Internet Protocol, but I may be mistaken about that.

If I'm right, you can't fix it yourself, and it is Comcast's problem at their end (i.e. it's normal and is what you can expect). You can complain to them about it, and I would. They might have a fix for it, or they may try to feed you a line of B.S. Don't let them feed you any line of B.S. about it being your TV, because I'm 99.99% sure it isn't.

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
It may be a product of Comcast's compression of the HD on demand signal. That sounds like what is going on. They have to compress the signal so it doesn't use too much bandwidth on their system. Where you see "compression artifacts" (boxy pixalation) the most is in action scenes (explosions). I believe the on demand stuff uses Internet Protocol, but I may be mistaken about that.
The ondemand stuff actually uses QAMs if they are like other cable systems. Only FiOS and U-Verse send their ondemand over IP.

eddie

DTVUSA Rookie
Turns out the TV is perfect, the problem was the signal from On Demand. I watched the same movie on blu ray player and no issues with pixalation. thanks for the comments and feedback.