TV reception seem to get worse at night - what should I do?

dhman06

DTVUSA Rookie
Hello all,

Long time lurker here, first time poster. Trying to figure out why my Mohu Leaf 50 indoor antenna is giving me spotty/ choppy reception at night. I've had this Mohu antenna since last September, but I only started having this issue for the last 2-3 weeks. It seems like around 7:45/8PM-ish I start having spotty reception and this spotty reception is across the board; not just for certain tv channels. Until that time I have excellent reception, but as soon as it gets to 7:45/8-ish choppy reception occurs. Here's a copy of my TVFOOL report ---- http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e6a4636731a957

Any help will be appreciated.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: dhman

It is likely caused by warmer weather and I experience the same thing when watching a station 75 miles away from me. Around sundown, buildings, streets, sidewalks, etc release the heat they have absorbed during daylight hours and similar to a mirage in the desert (the effect which bends light waves) the television signals are being bent and/or partially blocked which is confusing your television tuner. Out of curiosity, does your reception return a few hours after sundown? If so, that would confirm my suspicions.

The only possible remedy is to increase the strength of the signals you are receiving, but not by amplifying the 'damaged' signals you are currently receiving. This means trying the same or a different antenna at a higher level above ground. If you can collect more 'good' signal, your reception may stabilize.

Jim

Last edited:

dhman06

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks Jim. My signal actually doesn't seem to return at all. Once it's gone/ starts being choppy around 8/8:30-ish, it stays like that throughout the night. It was fine when it was warmer earlier at the beginning of the summer, but for some reason it's choppy now.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
dhman,

Can you think of any electrical devices in your home or a neighbor's home which turn on at this time? An example would be mercury vapor or sodium vapor security floodlights, that have become electrically 'noisy' in warm / hot weather. Some CFL and LED light bulbs, fluorescent tube baluns and electric motors can be trouble makers.

Years ago we had a visitor here with a similar reception problem and he finally chased down a 'bad' electrical device in his home: he and his wife had a tabletop decorative rock garden / waterfall in their bedroom which made 'sounds of nature' to help then get to sleep. It was connected to a timer so it turned on at the same time every night. However, the water pump generated a lot of static on the power line which was on the same circuit as their bedroom and living room TV sets.

You can search for 'noisy' electrical devices in your home pretty easily. When your reception is choppy, go to your circuit breaker box and turn off one circuit at a time. If your reception returns, you know you have something causing interference on that particular circuit. Next, take an AM Broadcast Band pocket radio, tune it between stations and 'visit' your electrical devices: example, the clock in my microwave transmits a 'beep' every second, over about 8 feet.

Jim