TV sets with Vacuum tubes

cirereyes

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I used to have this kind of TV but when it got busted I had a hard time looking for a replacement of the parts, so I decided to just throw it away. I wonder if some electronic stores out there still sell TV sets that still use the old vacuum tubes.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
cirereyes,

I haven't seen a new TV set for sale that uses vacuum tubes in at least 25 years. The last set I owned that had tubes actually used a combination of solid-state (transistorized components) and tubes. There are many people including myself who are pack rats and have a stockpile of replacement tubes available. As the story goes, not good enough to keep but too good to throw away ...

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Ahhh, remember when Radio Shack had a TUBE TESTER and you could actually buy replacements? I even remember the local drug store having a tester and a stock of the most common tubes.

I've got an old guitar amp I'd like to fix (nasty buzzing) but I don't know where to start these days. And hell, I'm a technician!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Pogi,

Most of the vacuum tube testers in drug stores only tested the filiments for continuity and could not detect if a tube had become gassy, noisy, etc. Regarding your guitar amplifier, I'd start by replacing the power supply filter capacitors. Don't run it if it's humming because if those capacitors are already or if they become shorted, they can draw tremendous current and that's the fastest way to kill the power supply transformer.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Yea, I don't even know if I want to get into fixing it. See, I fix electronics all day long. Seems too much like work to me. :grin:

Besides, I don't even OWN a guitar, much less know how to play it. And I'm much too old to learn to play one at this point.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Yea, I don't even know if I want to get into fixing it. See, I fix electronics all day long. Seems too much like work to me. :grin:

Besides, I don't even OWN a guitar, much less know how to play it. And I'm much too old to learn to play one at this point.

Don't throw it away. Guitar players clamor over old tube amps! And it's more than likely a filter cap in the power supply and you can still get those pretty easy online. What kind of amp is it?