TV Shows Will Be Lacking From "Redbox Instant" Launch

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Verizon Communications and Coinstar’s Redbox expect to debut a movies-only Internet streaming service later this month -- priced starting at $8, the same as Netflix -- but initially the Redbox Instant by Verizon will lack any TV show content and far fewer movies than Netflix.

The unlimited streaming-video plan will include about 5,500 movies from Warner Bros. and Epix -- the premium cable network owned by Paramount Pictures, MGM and Lionsgate -- plus four nights of DVD rentals available at Redbox’s 36,000-plus kiosks nationwide for $8 per month. For Blu-ray Disc rentals, the service is $9 per month.
At least at first, Redbox Instant by Verizon is “targeted squarely at movie lovers," Shawn Strickland, the former FiOS executive who is the venture's CEO, said in an interview with the Associated Press. Initially, the service will be available only by invitation.
Read More: TV Shows Absent from Redbox/Verizon's Netflix Rival at Launch | Cable Television News | Broadcast Syndication | Programming | Multichannel.com

So who exactly is the target audience of this new service? Current Verizon customers or current Redbox customers? Will the service get TV shows later? Is there a reason I should give up my Netflix account for Redbox Instant? Hmmm, I don't think it's quite there yet.

tannchri

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I agree, this seems really silly. Redbox is still widely successful I'm assuming – since there are a dozen of them within a two-block radius of my home –****but this is a stretch. I guess they could easily market to existing Redbox customers who might not understand services like Netflix?

G

What's so hot about netflix? If movie isn't available for streaming you need another account (for mailed disc). Redbox instant has same streaming content and I can reserve a disc, walk/ride to pick it up same day for watching!

Thomas G

Contributor
What's so hot about netflix? If movie isn't available for streaming you need another account (for mailed disc). Redbox instant has same streaming content and I can reserve a disc, walk/ride to pick it up same day for watching!
By the same token, what's so hot about Redbox? I'd rather stream before going to pick up a movie from their Redbox kiosks, and it's not like you have to wait a long time for Netflix movies to come through mail.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Redbox BETA!

By the same token, what's so hot about Redbox? I'd rather stream before going to pick up a movie from their Redbox kiosks, and it's not like you have to wait a long time for Netflix movies to come through mail.
I have had various problems (mostly with availability) with both Netflix and Redbox disc services, but no problem with Netflix Streaming - except for the lack of new releases!.

A lot of things come into play here.

I have no problem driving to a kiosk to rent a DVD for $1.20/BR for $1.50, if the online option is to rent for 24 hours for four or five dollars at Amazon or Vudu. I can get a flick for me and the wife, and one for the kids for less than three dollars. Hell, last weekend I reserved the new Twilight movie for the wife online release day with Redbox at midnight, and had it in my hands 5 minutes later. And then there's the fact that the post office is dropping Saturday deliveries, cutting into the amount of movies one can get from Netflix in a month.
I just got an invite to the BETA: One month free trial.
I signed up - there WILL be a review at the end of my free month!

Would you like a peek inside? Sure, you would!

Redbox Instant by Verizon.jpg

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
OOPS, I forgot one VERY IMPORTANT THING:

It's not yet available on ROKU!

(and a lot of other devices!)

I hope they fix that soon. I suspect a major share of their business would come from Roku owners. I'll be beta testing on my Media PC and laptop.