tv shutting off and on

fogey0

DTVUSA Rookie
I have a Samsung 40" lcd tv that on occassion goes black, no sound for several seconds then comes back on. I've been told this could be related to connecting directly to the Comcast outlet, no box?

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Thread moved

:welcome:

Could be. Try a little troubleshooting:

• Unplug the TV from the AC outlet for at least five minutes, then plug it back in. This will reset the TV's computer, just like the reset buttons on old desktops once did.

• If the issue recurs, perform a "double re-scan:" Detach Comcast's cable from the back of the TV; scan for cable channels; unplug the set for five minutes; and then re-attach the cable from Comcast's wall outlet and scan for channels a second time. Please be patient: This may take 30 minutes to complete depending on the number of channels the set finds on the second scan.

Seek Comcast's advice if the last step doesn't help. Like many others these days, your cable system may be in transition between analog service and a digital service requiring use of a set-top box.

I'm also moving this thread over to the Comcast forum to give it more exposure among fellow subscribers.

fogey0

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks. Interesting troubleshooting points. This is a seasonal residence, not used a lot. When this happened the beginning of May Comcast was going through the process of changing the analog/digital transition. After we left here there was a power outage that lasted for about an hour and a half. When we returned yesterday we had to reset evrything. Could that have acted the same as unplugging the TV? I have had it on for two days now and it is working perfectly Also, this location has a lot of power fluctuations, lights dimming, etc. Could that be part of the problem?
Samsung has agreed to cover replacing defective caps out of warranty and the tech is due here today. He said on the phone that defective caps would not cause this problem and somehow it is related to the TV being plugged directly into the Comcast outlet without a box an that is "screwing up" the TV's computer and it may need a firmware upgrade. Does that make sense? He said he will examine the TV as Samsung has authorized and if any caps are bad he will replace them.
Appreciate your help

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Could that have acted the same as unplugging the TV? I have had it on for two days now and it is working perfectly.
Yes, it could have.

Also, this location has a lot of power fluctuations, lights dimming, etc. Could that be part of the problem?
Yes. Computers tend to get a wee bit sluggish when their power source is less than clean, and the same goes for digital TVs. You shouldn't need to perform the double re-scan every single time your TV starts getting goofy, but it's a good next step if a simple re-set doesn't cure the issue. Unplugging it for a few minutes is enough to clean the junk out of the tuner's memory when power fluctuations have caused it to get "confused."

On a related note: It might be a good idea to unplug the set from the AC outlet when you're going to be away for extended periods. All that noise can have a cumulative effect on the tuner. The same goes for when the lights come back on following a power failure: Just because no electrical appliance works during the outage doesn't necessarily mean there's been no voltage whatsoever at the outlets.

... somehow it is related to the TV being plugged directly into the Comcast outlet without a box an that is "screwing up" the TV's computer and it may need a firmware upgrade. Does that make sense?
Put it this way: They know their TVs a whole heckuva lot better than I do! The Samsung tech may be able to perform a firmware update while he's there, or tell you how to do it for yourself. My hunch is that the power failure did the trick since everything's been "perfect" for two days. New firmware remains a good idea no matter what, though. These updates correct issues Samsung knows about -- issues you might encounter in the future.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I agree you should check for a firmware update. I have a TV model that I've never had a problem with, but others have had power issues. New firmware fixed everybodys problems.