TV Viewing Habits on Tablets vs Tradiitonal HDTVs

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
A new report show's that people are more likely to finish watching a show on their tablets than they are on home television set. What does this mean?

One interesting take-away is that people are more likely to complete a video when watched on a Connected TV or a streaming device attached to a television than they are with computers or mobile phones.
More at: HDTV Magazine - HDTV Almanac - Tablets Are Changing Television

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I have no clue -- what does that mean? I do believe that the invention of the remote control forever changed TV viewing. People are too lazy to get up and change the channel. Yes, kids ... you used to have to get up, walk over to the TV, and turn the knob! :}

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I have no clue -- what does that mean? I do believe that the invention of the remote control forever changed TV viewing. People are too lazy to get up and change the channel. Yes, kids ... you used to have to get up, walk over to the TV, and turn the knob! :}
Basically it means that people who are watching TV on their iPad or Android based tablet watch TV longer or finish programs all the way through, more so than people who watch on traditional TVs.

Trickster

DTVUSA Member
I watch on my Android while I'm at school, but I like the fact that I can watch an episode of Mad Men for 20 minutes, pause, and watch when I have time again later in the day.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Basically it means that people who are watching TV on their iPad or Android based tablet watch TV longer or finish programs all the way through, more so than people who watch on traditional TVs.
LOL I know that. I just meant I don't know what that means about those who are watching. Is it because with a TV, you have to sit still in a stationary place but with a tablet, it goes with you?

n2rj

Staff member
A new report show's that people are more likely to finish watching a show on their tablets than they are on home television set.
I don't think they are saying that. They are saying the exact opposite.

People are more likely to finish watching a video on an actual TV (via streaming) rather than a PC or mobile phone. They are also more likely to finish watching a video on a tablet.

It all has to do with screen size and where each is used. Mobile phone screens are small and the viewing experience isn't as good as watching a full sized TV. A tablet is acceptable because it has a 9 inch or 7 inch screen.

Mobile phones are used primarily on the go and mostly to kill time. Tablets are used a lot on the go but also at home where you aren't killing time, but you're sitting down to relax and catch a show.

A new report show's that people are more likely to finish watching a show on their tablets than they are on home television set. What does this mean?

More at: HDTV Magazine - HDTV Almanac - Tablets Are Changing Television
I don't think they are saying that. They are saying the exact opposite.

People are more likely to finish watching a video on an actual TV (via streaming) rather than a PC or mobile phone. They are also more likely to finish watching a video on a tablet.

It all has to do with screen size and where each is used. Mobile phone screens are small and the viewing experience isn't as good as watching a full sized TV. A tablet is acceptable because it has a 9 inch or 7 inch screen.

Mobile phones are used primarily on the go and mostly to kill time. Tablets are used a lot on the go but also at home where you aren't killing time, but you're sitting down to relax and catch a show.
I think N2RJ is right here.

From the article:

But that’s not the big news that I see here. People will stick with a video longer when viewed on a tablet than with any other device.
It's more of a tablet vs any other viewing device (besides a TV) that I think the author is saying.