TV's in kids rooms

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
What are your thought of putting tv's in your childrens bedrooms?

Since my kids were about 3, they all had tv's in their rooms. I love it because they would go to bed, watch one show, and then go to sleep. I could use the tv as bribery for them to go right to sleep. If they got up after their show, they didn't get to watch it the next night.

Ricardo

DTVUSA Member
I can see that it would be convenient. I think I'd try to pay attention to what they were watching and how much time they spent watching as well.

I'd probably try to encourage them to watch some quality programming and not just light entertainment.

dtvnerd

DTVUSA Member
TVs in a kids room is a great idea. If you buy your kid a new video game console, and you want to be able to watch TV in your living room, you don't want your kid playing in there. They can play in their own room, and have fun on their own.

BUT! Nothing can replace parental presence with a child.

misha

DTVUSA Member
I don't like having a tv in a kids room for a few reasons. The kids will just hide away in their room all the time if they don't have to come out to watch tv. Or they could be watching something inappropriate for their age.

casey

DTVUSA Member
I don't like it, but I don't hate it at the same time. Sometimes kids need something like this of their own that they can take care of. The first big electronic toy for a kid sometimes is a big responsibility for them.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I don't like it, but I don't hate it at the same time. Sometimes kids need something like this of their own that they can take care of. The first big electronic toy for a kid sometimes is a big responsibility for them.
That is true, I remember the first time I got a 5 disc CD player for my room for Christmas. It was a thing of beauty, could play random songs from all 5 discs, lots of glowing lights, and it would rotate the CD's on a circular platform. I kept that thing all the way through high school, it was my prized possession. ;)

casey

DTVUSA Member
That is true, I remember the first time I got a 5 disc CD player for my room for Christmas. It was a thing of beauty, could play random songs from all 5 discs, lots of glowing lights, and it would rotate the CD's on a circular platform. I kept that thing all the way through high school, it was my prized possession. ;)
Exactly! If you have something that you truly love and would want to keep for a very long time, you will take amazing care of it. This same concept will apply for the tv as well.

kaylaris

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I don't think there is any problem with it, when I was younger I had a TV in my room and it helped put me to sleep every night, as long as you do monitor like you say you do because I found a trick, my mum used to watch sex and the city and as soon as the music came on it was bed for us but I could turn the TV on and turn the sound down and just listen to hers in the next room. Tehehe

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
You really do have to set limits on some kids. Mine really don't use theirs alot. I do like that the PS2 is now in their room and not in my living room.

A friend of mine just put a tv in her daughters room. She said it works like a charm! Now they don't have her getting up 10 times during bedtime. One show and she is off to sleep.

d3stiny

DTVUSA Jr. Member
When i was in my younger years i do have a TV in my own room. My mom sets time of my watching convenience until i turn it off. I just got the chance of watching TV when my assignments are done.

It was an 8-track for me, starting to feel my age... ;)