TWC vs Vonage

I had Vonage for about a year and it was awful. Hours of tech support never resolved intermittent static and absolute silence to person on other end. Anyway, it wasn't for me.

I'm going back to TWC. Anyone know a way to negotiate a good package if your internet/cable rates are already locked in?

Also, anyone have experience leaving Vonage? They have tried to charge me in past for router that I returned--hang onto those delivery receipts kids--as well as canceling my service without my consent. Many calls and emails later it was resolved. My time and energy too valuable.

Suggestions?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
So this is for telephone service only right?

One tactic that I always use no matter if I'm negotiating terms on a car or with DirecTV is, "I can't afford it" and being consistent about it. With TWC, I'd ask that you're "thinking" about getting telephone service, but do not lead them on or tell them anything about your bad service with Vonage.

Giving you your first thank you on the "hang onto those delivery receipts" advice. It's so true, can't tell you how many times I've had to pull those out and prove up a return or purchase.

I had Vonage for about a year and it was awful. Hours of tech support never resolved intermittent static and absolute silence to person on other end. Anyway, it wasn't for me.

I'm going back to TWC. Anyone know a way to negotiate a good package if your internet/cable rates are already locked in?

Also, anyone have experience leaving Vonage? They have tried to charge me in past for router that I returned--hang onto those delivery receipts kids--as well as canceling my service without my consent. Many calls and emails later it was resolved. My time and energy too valuable.

Suggestions?
You should definitely get a discount for using all 3 of their services. Play hardball. ;) Most telephone companies are losing customers anyway because more people are switching to cell phones and canceling regular telephone lines.

tj716

DTVUSA Member

Suggestions?
Thanks for the headsup on Vonage I had a feeling that they were too good to be true. Tell twc your other option you could stay with vonage you can tell them and get your bill for x.xx it works for me when we do it that way usually.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
I don't have vonage, and I never will. Every person that I've ever talked to who's had a Vonage line sounded horrible. Plus in order to have Vonage you need to have a high speed internet connection in order to use it.

You don't sy if you want a land line or cellular service. Here is what I did, since I don't call to much long distance I did not add that to my phone and sved about $90 a year, I did add it to my cell as it worked out to about $36 a year. In all honesty I am getting to feel like I really do not need a land line anymore at all. what I did is bundled my home, cell phone and internet. I come in at about $80 a month as opposed to the $52 I used to pay for my landline when it was AT&T. That is with no text and limited minutes which was enough I could use the family plan and easily share minutes without going over. I switched all the verizon in the northeast they seemed to have the best deal. If i absolutely have to make a long distance call on the home phone I use 1010321 I think thats sprint?? I can't complain about the internet except to say if the power is out I can't get on like I once could with just dial up.

I heard and i don't know if this is true, that verizon will be going into home alarm monitoring, now I pay $34 a month with Brinks and get a 20% reduction on my homeowners, if verizon did do this I would dump brinks and go for a four of a kind bundle if I could.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
You don't sy if you want a land line or cellular service. Here is what I did, since I don't call to much long distance I did not add that to my phone and sved about $90 a year, I did add it to my cell as it worked out to about $36 a year. In all honesty I am getting to feel like I really do not need a land line anymore at all. what I did is bundled my home, cell phone and internet. I come in at about $80 a month as opposed to the $52 I used to pay for my landline when it was AT&T. That is with no text and limited minutes which was enough I could use the family plan and easily share minutes without going over. I switched all the verizon in the northeast they seemed to have the best deal. If i absolutely have to make a long distance call on the home phone I use 1010321 I think thats sprint?? I can't complain about the internet except to say if the power is out I can't get on like I once could with just dial up.

I heard and i don't know if this is true, that verizon will be going into home alarm monitoring, now I pay $34 a month with Brinks and get a 20% reduction on my homeowners, if verizon did do this I would dump brinks and go for a four of a kind bundle if I could.
I don't know what your contract looks like, but Brinks/Broadview was just bought out by ADT. So that may give you a chance to switch. I know ADT had some issues awhile back but they seem to be doing a lot better now.