Two dishes

sunshine4

DTVUSA Member
When I had Dish Network put in my home, they put up two dishes. My son just had Dish installed in his home. He gets more channels and only has one dish. Is there a reason they would have put two up for me? I wonder if I can take one down.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
When I had Dish Network put in my home, they put up two dishes. My son just had Dish installed in his home. He gets more channels and only has one dish. Is there a reason they would have put two up for me? I wonder if I can take one down.
It depends on your location and your programming.

Most people have one dish. It's a round 20" dish called the 500. That gets all basic SD programming plus locals. A few HD channels are received using this dish as well. It looks at the satellites at the 110° and 119° orbital positions.

If you have HD in most locations west of the Mississippi, you will have 1 larger oval shaped dish called the 1000 or the 1000.2. This picks up everything the 500 does plus it looks at 129° satellite as well for HD.

In the east, we have 2 dishes for the most part. One does the same job as the 1000 but since it is hard for folks in the east to see the 129° satellite, that second dish is aimed at 61.5. That's were we here in the east get our HD.

Most new installs in the east have been getting a 1 dish installation for almost the last year. One dish that looks at 61.5, 72.7 and 77. This can only be used with a 100% MPEG-4 or Eastern Arc (EA) system. It is called the Dish 1000.4. All receivers on the account must be ViP series to use this antenna or it will not work. All your locals must be on one of these satellites or it will not work for you either.

Alaska and Hawaii are a whole different story and they don't get as much HD as the rest of us. AK requires a pretty large dish aimed at 110°. PR also needs a large dish too.

If you want international programming (not discussed yet), that requires a "plus" antenna that looks at 118°.

There are some extra details to be considered but for 90% plus who are looking for basic programming, that is the story.

If you want to know about your area, give me your location and I can research it for you.

sunshine4

DTVUSA Member
I am in NY. My son just got his within the last year or so, so that is probably why he has one dish. They told me that the second dish would pick up Fox and a few other channels for me. I better just leave them be.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I am in NY. My son just got his within the last year or so, so that is probably why he has one dish. They told me that the second dish would pick up Fox and a few other channels for me. I better just leave them be.
If your son, and he is in the New York area, has one dish, he has the new EA MPEG-4 HD system. Your 2 dish system will do everything his does. You are just looking at different satellites.

Son is looking at 61.5, 72.7 and 77.
You are looking at 61.5, 110 and 119.

What Fox are you missing? Both of these set-ups get all the channels in the NYC area. Fox5 WNYW New York in HD is on 61.5 and the SD version is on 119.

Your son cannot get WNYW in SD on the 119° satellite but why would he need it? Also, look at your son's dish. It's bigger then yours. (Not trying to be funny.. LOL But I couldn't help it).

mikeoates

DTVUSA Rookie
It depends on your location and your programming....
Alaska and Hawaii are a whole different story and they don't get as much HD as the rest of us.
I just got Dish with HD installed in Hawaii and I knew I wouldn't get everything I was used to on the mainland but it is really hard to figure out what we do get. A lot of channels show up in the subscribed section of the guide and then do not work. The installer explained it but I am looking for what satellites I am receiving in Hawaii. I have a two dish setup but I do not know which ones they are picking up. I was really hoping to get the new Spanish stations HD feeds that just came online UNIV, TELEFUTURA, and upcoming GALAVISION. Thanks for information about how to figure out which sats I should be seeing and where to find out what is on those sats programming wise. Nice to know when new stuff gets released if I may get it or not.

MIke

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I just got Dish with HD installed in Hawaii and I knew I wouldn't get everything I was used to on the mainland but it is really hard to figure out what we do get. A lot of channels show up in the subscribed section of the guide and then do not work. The installer explained it but I am looking for what satellites I am receiving in Hawaii. I have a two dish setup but I do not know which ones they are picking up. I was really hoping to get the new Spanish stations HD feeds that just came online UNIV, TELEFUTURA, and upcoming GALAVISION. Thanks for information about how to figure out which sats I should be seeing and where to find out what is on those sats programming wise. Nice to know when new stuff gets released if I may get it or not.

MIke
Hi Mike and Welcome!
I can do some research for you on this but just tell me what satellites you are looking at. Take your remote and press menu then 6 - 1 - 3. Tell me what satellites you have and are all of the boxes green?

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I have found there are one dish set-ups for Hawaii. The Dish 500HW seems to be what you should have been set up with for HD. That looks at 119° and 129°. It's a pretty large dish at 34.3" wide and 31.5" high. Soon and thanks to the new E14 bird that is being loaded up with channels right now, you should have close to (or maybe even) everything people on the mainland get.

There is also the Dish 500H for SD customers that looks at 110° and 119°. That one is 32" wide and 31" high.

I don't know why you were set up with 2 dishes. Maybe some installers may just find that easier. But again, you should be aimed at 119° and 129° for all of your channels.

Also, if there are channels in your guide that are not highlighted in red or green when looking at the "All Channels" guide listing, you should be able to get them.

Last edited:

mikeoates

DTVUSA Rookie
I have found there are one dish set-ups for Hawaii. The Dish 500HW seems to be what you should have been set up with for HD. That looks at 119° and 129°. It's a pretty large dish at 34.3" wide and 31.5" high. Soon and thanks to the new E14 bird that is being loaded up with channels right now, you should have close to (or maybe even) everything people on the mainland get.

There is also the Dish 500H for SD customers that looks at 110° and 119°. That one is 32" wide and 31" high.

I don't know why you were set up with 2 dishes. Maybe some installers may just find that easier. But again, you should be aimed at 119° and 129° for all of your channels.

Also, if there are channels in your guide that are not highlighted in red or green when looking at the "All Channels" guide listing, you should be able to get them.
When I do the 6,1,3 I show 119, 110 and 129 and all are green. Funny thing is on the dish pointing screen the installer left zip code as 00000 and if I change it to 96818 it doesnt show a point angle to 129. It also removes evidence of signal from the transponder test. When I change it back to 00000 then I show evidence of signal again. On the channels that are not red or green the installer specifically told me about some issues with Dish here in Hawaii. I think all of the ones that are funny are HD and most collocated channels work as advertised but some like for HBO W I can get it on channel 5545 (he said 5000's were good in HI) but on the collocated version next to SD 303 also labeled HBO W it immediated goes to the searching for satellites screen and he told me to just press menu then 1 and select the 303 SD or move up to the 5545. Even better is HBO-E works just find in HD at either 300 or the version in the 5000's. I also show all the other HBO's in HD in the 300's as available by being blue but act the same way as 303.

Thanks for the info and if I can attach a picture of my dish you will see one slightly larger dish and what looks like one of the smaller dishes of old. Also note the interesting installation that I have only seen in Hawaii and appears to be the standard for both Dish E* and Directv D* here with a steel square set on the grass with concrete blocks holding it in place. The D* dishes look really funny cause they are like 4' across but just one. Also everyone in my neighborhood with E* have the same two dish setup as I do so it wasn't a one time thing.

One last question: is there a resource to find out what satellites channels are currently being transmitted from or is it changing so fast as they transfer to new satellites and mess with LIL's to keep up with. I frequent another board that starts with AVS*, but this site is friendlier to questions and you appear to be the knowlegable source for Dish questions. Thanks for taking the time.
I put a picture of the dish setup at the following web address home.rr.com/mikeygisela
Mike

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Your picture is very interesting. The dish on the right is the one I thought you would have looking at 119° and 129°. The other one appears to be a wing dish aimed at 110°. I would be curious to know how big they are. They are slightly oval in shape so could you measure them and give me the size w x h? Consider the arm that holds the LNB(s) as the bottom of the dish. Thanks.

I am not too familiar with the deal in Hawaii and Alaska (but I know that the Alaska dishes are very large). The info I came up with above comes from dishuser.org but parts of the site do not get updated properly. Especially the large channel chart.