Two new Diginets to launch this summer

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
New networks are good. But at this point, most stations are settled with their content and don't seem willing to change their affiliations. Or worse yet, I have one full-power station (KJZZ-14) that is 720p and no subchannels, and they have no intention of ever changing. . They are independent and play nothing but syndicated shows. With so many networks available and enough bandwidth to support 2 more SD channels, there is no excuse for this. What a waste of bandwidth!

With so many networks available and enough bandwidth to support 2 more SD channels, there is no excuse for this. What a waste of bandwidth!
A little arithmetic from your friendly neighborhood math-head. The FCC and dept. of Commerce have allocated every inch of bandwidth from 9 kilohertz to 275 gigahertz. There are a total of 49 OTA broadcast channels, each allocated exactly 6 megahertz. So TV gets a total of 294 Mhz out of 274,999.999991 Mhz -- slightly over one-tenth of one percent. It's actually LESS than a tenth of a percent of all the bandwidth they've decided that can allocate, which is everything between 3 KHz and 300 GHz.

To put it another way, about a thousand times as much spectrum is allocated to other things. TV is just a tiny sliver, with AM/FM radio, maritime mobile, aeronautical navigation, amateur bands, radio astronomy, land mobile, satellite signals of various description, time signals, and dozens of other things neatly stuffed into legal little slots.

If you download a copy of the U.S. frequency allocations chart, you start to see the mind trip these bureaucrats are on. If you said they ration out the air we breath, people would take that as a joke. But they ration out tiny electrical pulses in the air over an enormous spectrum! The people didn't vote on it. They just gave themselves God-like power over a vast, yet invisible, chunk of nature. I don't know if it makes wasting bandwidth better or worse; it just goes to show how supremely unimportant television is to the powers that be.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

James

DTVUSA Member
My knee-jerk reaction...Another network...but am I to understand this is OTA? I am still not an OTA guy since my Fios package has TV for about $10.00 last time I looked. For OTA people the excitement is for more options.right?

MrPogi

Staff member
My knee-jerk reaction...Another network...but am I to understand this is OTA? I am still not an OTA guy since my Fios package has TV for about $10.00 last time I looked. For OTA people the excitement is for more options.right?
Correct, OTA. Also remember that many of the OTA networks are not available on your pay TV package. For example, my local PBS channels broadcast as many as 4 sub-channels, but Comcast, Dish, and DirecTV only carry the main channel. And most low-power channels are not carried at all by pay TV providers.

MrPogi

Staff member
A little arithmetic from your friendly neighborhood math-head. The FCC and dept. of Commerce have allocated every inch of bandwidth from 9 kilohertz to 275 gigahertz. There are a total of 49 OTA broadcast stations, each allocated exactly 6 megahertz. So TV gets a total of 294 Mhz out of 274,999.999991 Mhz -- slightly over one-tenth of one percent. It's actually LESS than a tenth of a percent of all the bandwidth they've decided that can allocate, which is everything between 3 KHz and 300 GHz.

To put it another way, about a thousand times as much spectrum is allocated to other things. TV is just a tiny sliver, with AM/FM radio, maritime mobile, aeronautical navigation, amateur bands, radio astronomy, land mobile, satellite signals of various description, time signals, and dozens of other things neatly stuffed into legal little slots.

If you download a copy of the U.S. frequency allocations chart, you start to see the mind trip these bureaucrats are on. If you said they ration out the air we breath, people would take that as a joke. But they ration out tiny electrical pulses in the air over an enormous spectrum! The people didn't vote on it. They just gave themselves God-like power over a vast, yet invisible, chunk of nature. I don't know if it makes wasting bandwidth better or worse; it just goes to show how supremely unimportant television is to the powers that be.

Rick
True, but every bit of unused bandwidth in the TV part of the spectrum is subject to "wasted spectrum" arguments from those that would love to kill free TV. "Look! They are not using every bit of their allotment, we should take it from them!"

We do need an agency to assign and regulate the use of the electromagnetic spectrum - note the chaos during the early days of radio. Do you really want your neighbor to be able to pump out so much EMI as to block your favorite stations and muck up your WiFi? My problem with the FCC is they have forgotten who owns the airwaves (the citizens) and spectrum should be allocated to best serve the whole population, including those that can't afford pay TV. It should not be all sold to the highest bidder, nor should decisions be based on what company will offer FCC commissioners the highest paying jobs. (I'm looking at you, Comcast and Meredith Attwell!)

dkreichen1968

Staff member
There is a FiOS package that has TV for $10 a month? Give details please!!!

Sincerely,

The Verizon FiOS Total Disconnect Dude

James

DTVUSA Member
When I was seriously thinking about dumping TV service I started digging into the Fios website. Eventually I found the bare bones channel offering. It was not right out there for you to easily find but I would not call it hidden. It may be different now.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
When I was seriously thinking about dumping TV service I started digging into the Fios website. Eventually I found the bare bones channel offering. It was not right out there for you to easily find but I would not call it hidden. It may be different now.
Is that just local channels? What exactly do you get?