Question: Two stations - one channel number ?

fletch99

DTVUSA Member
I know this does not seem possible but I have a Samsung TV that has scanned two different digital stations on 21.2. Is this a fluke or are these new tuners designed to do this.

21.2 - Trinity Broadcast Network Tidewater VA - RF 7
21.2 - Fox21 Delmarva MD or DE - RF ?

(Also get 16.1 WBOC so I'm pretty sure Fox21 is in the Delmarva area somewhere)

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Well, one thing's for sure: Your tuner can do this! Here's what you're apparently getting:

• WBOC, Salisbury, MD (RF 16) carries both CBS on virtual 16-1 and Fox on virtual 21-2.

• WHRE, Virginia Beach, VA (RF 7) carries Trinity's five subchannels on 21-1, 21-3, 21-4 and 21-5 in addition to 21-2.

Salisbury being at at least 100 miles away from WHRE, your experience is evidence of E-skip. Skip is an atmospheric condition during which clean signals propagate far beyond the normal radio "horizon," which is typically about 70 miles out. Here's a forecast page with maps suggesting that your region may have had good skip conditions in recent days.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
Well, one thing's for sure: Your tuner can do this! Here's what you're apparently getting:

• WBOC, Salisbury, MD (RF 16) carries both CBS on virtual 16-1 and Fox on virtual 21-2.

• WHRE, Virginia Beach, VA (RF 7) carries Trinity's five subchannels on 21-1, 21-3, 21-4 and 21-5 in addition to 21-2.

Salisbury being at at least 100 miles away from WHRE, your experience is evidence of E-skip. Skip is an atmospheric condition during which clean signals propagate far beyond the normal radio "horizon," which is typically about 70 miles out. Here's a forecast page with maps suggesting that your region may have had good skip conditions in recent days.
Not to be nit picky but "tropo" and e-skip are 2 different thing are they not? Like last night I was getting in the Memphis stations 120 miles away. There has been some strong tropospheric ducting lately in my area. E-skip is like last year before the cut off and I was getting in analog stations from Miami 850 miles away. "Tropo" I almost always get at night for me where as e-skip I've only gotten in the day.

n2rj

Staff member
I have a similar situation here.

WNJJ-LD (which I watch ALL of the time, not) and WXTV-DT are both virtual channel 41.

The Samsung HDTV seems to be fine with it. I can navigate both channels.

The Apex DT250 CECB does not. It gets either one or the other. I am still puzzled as to WHY the FCC would allow two stations with the same virtual channel in the same DMA but this is what we have.

n2rj

Staff member
Not to be nit picky but "tropo" and e-skip are 2 different thing are they not? Like last night I was getting in the Memphis stations 120 miles away. There has been some strong tropospheric ducting lately in my area. E-skip is like last year before the cut off and I was getting in analog stations from Miami 850 miles away. "Tropo" I almost always get at night for me where as e-skip I've only gotten in the day.
That is correct,

Tropospheric ducting uses the troposphere. Signals are reflected by a duct formed by temperature inversion.

E skip uses the E layer of the ionosphere.

E skip allows longer distances. On ham radio I have talked to people as far away as Miami, Texas and Bermuda using e skip.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
That is correct,

Tropospheric ducting uses the troposphere. Signals are reflected by a duct formed by temperature inversion.

E skip uses the E layer of the ionosphere.

E skip allows longer distances. On ham radio I have talked to people as far away as Miami, Texas and Bermuda using e skip.
Also in I'm not mistaken e-skip is unlikely to happen above Ch 6.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
BCF68, et al:

Take a look at this Tutorial about Troposcopic Ducting: Propagation Tutorial - Tropospheric scattering

We experiences it here once last Fall or early winter while watching KVOS-12 (real, 35) about 75 miles away. Their signal is always dependible here received on my cut-to-35 Yagi (22 feet above the roofline) but oddly one evening we received it on our CM-4228 pointing 90 degrees away from the transmitter, 5 feet below my roofline in my back yard. I switched the antennas back to the Yagi and the signal was 100% rather than the usual 65 on the onboard dignosis signal 'meter'. A few minutes later, the signal faded away to zero and was unavailable for about 45 minutes. A rain storm or hail storm could explain the signal loss, but to me, Tropo best explains the incredible signal strength increase.

Jim