Unable to view local network programming - Time Warner TV

This question is about "Unable to view local network programming", with Time Warner Cable TV and apps. I don't have Spectrum internet, so right away as far as programming goes via the Spectrum TV AP, I have limited viewing options. I don't have the local networks (ABC, CBS, e.t.c) available.

I downloaded an offical app for ABC. The first thing I had to do in order to watch anything was sign in with the TV provider. Thankfully, Spectrum was listed as a provider so step 1 was complete. Step 2 required enabling or granting permission for location services to "see if live TV was available in my area. " I granted permission only to see that live TV wasn't available in my area" (currently in 89034) and that ABC "working to add more cities soon. "

Why do the networks need to geographically restrict viewing areas? What happened to simply being able to authenticate with the TV provider and be able to watch content?

I encountered a similar geographic verification for the Fox network app, but I just happened to be in an area where live TV over mobile devices was available.

This topic covered Unable to view local network programming, and TWC cable tv service.