Universal Sports to leave free OTA TV, become available only on Pay TV.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member

dkreichen1968

Staff member
For me Universal Sports is the lowest value multicast channel that I have. Both for picture quality and for content. Months or even years old Olympic sports isn't all that great of a draw, and I doubt it does all that well on cable. Plus the picture quality has always stunk. I hope KUSA/KTVD replaces it with something like MeTV, RTV, or even PB&J.

MrPogi

Staff member
I think PB&J would be a great choice - all those old kids shows and cartoons have a bigger audience than JUST kids. Plus, animation would require less bandwidth, unlike sports, where low bandwidth + action = disaster. And I've pretty much given up hope that QUBO will ever get a translator here, and their cartoons are pretty poor entertainment for both kids and adults. My kids have nothing on broadcast TV after PBS shuts down the kiddie shows at about 5pm.

Now, if they would only get on with it and get PB&J on the air!

arrggh I'm gutted. I receive NBC Universal Sport and enjoy watching rugby games, including the RWC that is playing at the moment.

I think this is a bad move as the programming just doesn't provide enough value for a "Pay TV" model.

Chips

DTVUSA Member
I will be sorry to see it go. WGRZ who carries it in Buffalo NY., is dropping RTV and will be left with only Universal sports, at least until January 2012. WGRZ is the only channel I receive that has sub-channels. Sadly when you look at the current moves to auction spectrum and repack the broadcast band, I suspect Pay TV will soon become my only option. So the lack of sub-channels, may not matter.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
From the article:

NBC's sports network has launched an "I Want Universal Sports" marketing campaign today to tell viewers about the transition
Let's vote: Have you actually spent more than 6 seconds EVER watching Universal Sports?

16 -yes ... 278,000 -no.

No offense intended, but good riddence to Universal Sports. All I ever saw them cover was marathon bicycle racing and people kicking a ball as in Rugby and Aussie rules soccer.

"Universal" Sports ??? Unlike Rugby, at least Foosball is known in the Americas, but there's no Foosball coverage. How about Billiards or Pool? That would seem to be a "univerals sport" but again, no coverage from Universal Sports because they prefer to cover bicycle riders drinking water at rest stops.

They ought to rename themselves BRDWN which is kinda catchy: The Bicycle Riders Drinking Water Network.

BORING!

Jim

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
I think this is a bad move as the programming just doesn't provide enough value for a "Pay TV" model.
Exactly. I am NOT a sports fan. I have watched Universal Sports, but only when there's nothing else on and there is a rare event I enjoy. Plus, trying to run a sports network as an SD sub on a 1080i network is just crazy, the large amount of motion makes both channel's video quality suffer. A sports network for subchannels is a great idea that would work as an sd subchannel of a 720p channel, or as a 720p co-channel - But NBC channels are 1080i, and it just doesn't work well. Also, as noted by Jim, the selection of sports is pretty crappy. Hey, how about Hockey? Surfing? Cricket, Auto Racing, Field Hockey, Basketball and Table Tennis? Having an alternate venue on NBCUS during the Olympics was awesome, but after that, it was all downhill.

If nobody's watching Universal Sports when it's the only sports channel in a lineup of 30 or so free OTA channels, who will be watching on pay TV when it's just one of 120 channels THAT INCLUDES ESPN and several other sports networks?

For those of you without an OTA sports channel now, there's only ONE sports network left for OTA: America One. It's not full time sports (In sports in primetime only), SD only, kinda quirky, but I've see good international games played - Basketball, soccer, Racing, Poker (Is poker REALLY a sport? I mean, those poker players are such RIPPED athletes!) and even bizarre stuff like ladies wrestling. If you are interested, CONTACT YOUR LOCAL STATIONS AND SEE IF THEY WILL TAKE IT ON AS A SUBCHANNEL! You may not think so, but your local stations DO listen to viewers suggestions - sometimes. Heck, you can even complain about NBCUS going to Pay TV - and when NBCUS fails under a pay TV model, they will come crawling back to OTA. If there's any spectrum left for them after the FCC get through!

And, in case you have not figured it out yet, NBCUS is owned by Comcast - This is just their opening salvo in their attempt to kill Free OTA TV.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Let's see here. Comcast (remember I'm not calling them by my pet name since they buy my product) also has "Vs" with it's poker tournaments and other "who cares" programming. NBC-US may get better programming when it goes pay, but I'm sure it will still stink. Goodbye NBC-US, don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I know that a lot of skating fans loved it because Paul Wylie did commentary there. Plus, other Olympic watchers liked the options that they got there versus the cable airings. The upcoming Olympics will be my first chance to really take advantage of it, wherever the channel ends up. All I know is that I hate all the delayed broadcasting. I miss the days when the Olympics could be watched live. That's how it should be.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
From the article:

Let's vote: Have you actually spent more than 6 seconds EVER watching Universal Sports?

16 -yes ... 278,000 -no.

No offense intended, but good riddence to Universal Sports. All I ever saw them cover was marathon bicycle racing and people kicking a ball as in Rugby and Aussie rules soccer.

"Universal" Sports ??? Unlike Rugby, at least Foosball is known in the Americas, but there's no Foosball coverage. How about Billiards or Pool? That would seem to be a "univerals sport" but again, no coverage from Universal Sports because they prefer to cover bicycle riders drinking water at rest stops.

They ought to rename themselves BRDWN which is kinda catchy: The Bicycle Riders Drinking Water Network.

Jim
I couldn't agree more.

While I couldn't find a link now, I do recall reading a few years ago that part of Universal Sports deal with their ota affiliates was that each affiliate had to find them coverage of the local pay tv channels. If the ota affiliate couldn't do it, Universal Sports could break the contract and move to another local ota channel that could get them pay tv coverage. Well, they've been on WOTH subchannel 25.2 for two or three years and still don't have pay tv coverage in Cincinnati or Dayton, Ohio so it looks like pay tv doesn't want them.

Heck, they're only available in 48 of the 210 tv markets here in the USA so it looks as if they're having trouble giving away their product for free yet comcast is willing to make people pay for it one way or the other.

Sheeesh.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I can't say I'm a fan, but I like having alternatives, especially to the Olympics, as I said. The more the better, so I don't have a problem with the channel myself.