Universal Sports will be first sub-channel fatality if Comacst deal goes through

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Universal Sports will be first sub-channel fatality if Comacst/NBC deal goes through

"Comcast's Versus and Golf Channel already receive about $400 million in yearly subscription fees, according to industry estimates. In addition, Comcast could try to push paid distribution for NBC's fledgling Universal Sports channel."

WSJ - Comcast Seeks NBC Sports Muscle

So in other words, no more Universal Sports as a free OTA sub-channel. It would become a cable only channel requiring (obviously) a paid subscription to cable television to receive.

Yet another reason why Comcast and the cable TV industry is a piece of garbage in general, and why a Comcast/NBC deal will be very bad news for consumers.

Last edited:

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
That would be no great loss in this market: The NBC affiliate here crams a 1080i main broadcast plus two 480i broadcasts -- NBCUS and Weather Plus -- onto its DTV carrier. They have succeeded only in making the video on all three channels look like cr@p.

But then, that doesn't take anything away from your point, does it? :becky:

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
That would be no great loss in this market: The NBC affiliate here crams a 1080i main broadcast plus two 480i broadcasts -- NBCUS and Weather Plus -- onto its DTV carrier. They have succeeded only in making the video on all three channels look like cr@p.

But then, that doesn't take anything away from your point, does it? :becky:
Well if this deal goes through within 5 years NBC will become a cable network which means no more OTA for people that want to watch NBC. That is a good thing? Once that happens don't be surprised to see ABC follow close behind. So in 6-8 years we'll have what just CBS, FOX, CW in OTA if that?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Nah, CW will be gone... and Fox perhaps will have no more dramas on OTA than NBC or ABC. It'll basically be Moonves Network doing dramas OTA, and the rest making their money mostly via reality shows, sports, news programming, and a few weak dramas mixed in for good measure to justify their place on the dial for the rest of what they'll really make their money on.

And then all the good stuff will be secured behind for-cash distribution channels.

And we can thank commercial avoidance and the explosion of new leisure distractions for all this. And if I never have to watch a commercial again, it'll be worth the extra money I have to spend on cable.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Nah, CW will be gone... and Fox perhaps will have no more dramas on OTA than NBC or ABC. It'll basically be Moonves Network doing dramas OTA, and the rest making their money mostly via reality shows, sports, news programming, and a few weak dramas mixed in for good measure to justify their place on the dial for the rest of what they'll really make their money on.

And then all the good stuff will be secured behind for-cash distribution channels.

And we can thank commercial avoidance and the explosion of new leisure distractions for all this. And if I never have to watch a commercial again, it'll be worth the extra money I have to spend on cable.
You pay for cable and still get commercials. Cable company sucker.

TardisCaptain

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I hope this deal dies because I refuse to pay for satellite or cable. I found that I was only watching 3-5 cable channels (and even then only a show or two on those channels). The cost was never worth it.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Like all things, doom is often predicted when it's far from the truth. I really don't know what will happen. I'm not sure I even get universal sports. I recall a channel playing old Olympics. Hmm -- let me see if I can find it. Be right back.

Well, nothing comes in for me anyway so it's hard to tell. I saw one thing labeled 'US' so maybe that was it. I have one new channel but like 2/3 of mine, they just don't come in.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
Like all things, doom is often predicted when it's far from the truth. I really don't know what will happen. I'm not sure I even get universal sports. I recall a channel playing old Olympics. Hmm -- let me see if I can find it. Be right back.

Well, nothing comes in for me anyway so it's hard to tell. I saw one thing labeled 'US' so maybe that was it. I have one new channel but like 2/3 of mine, they just don't come in.
If Comcast buys NBC then NBC will 100% become a cable channel unless the government stops it. Once NBC goes cable then ABC will follow. ABC is owned by Disney and most of what it owns are cable networks. So it makes sense to make ABC a cable network too.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
If Comcast buys NBC then NBC will 100% become a cable channel unless the government stops it. Once NBC goes cable then ABC will follow. ABC is owned by Disney and most of what it owns are cable networks. So it makes sense to make ABC a cable network too.
I don't think the implication is necessarily there.

First, I don't see any reason to believe that NBC will ever give up its national over-the-air broadcast network. It is simply too value to the overall enterprise to have it, for presenting news and information, live sporting events, and variety. They can probably whittle it down to covering the costs for a few scripted dramas and comedies necessary to provide enough variety in programming on the national over-the-air broadcast network.

Second, there is nothing stopping them now from fostering their cable offerings. Indeed, they are. Syfy was the #3 cable network this week. That reflects an awesome improvement. And given that they have a much more direct and clear flow of cash, in the form of subscription fees, for cable networks, it makes sense to foster those offerings.

Will ABC follow-suit? Maybe. I think they need to turn more some of their cable assets towards adults, though.

Beyond that, is any of this a bad thing for viewers? For OTA viewers? Of course - absolutely. For cable viewers? A little bit (because prices will increase as valuable content gets placed more firmly behind a tollbooth). Is this something that requires government interference? Not even a little AFAIC.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
If the feds didn't stop this, each network has a few hundred affiliates whose owners might have something they'd like to say about it -- in court. Programming expenses might be the least of the networks' problems at that point. As beguiling as the slippery-slope theory may be, nothing is cut and dried in today's litigious society.

IDRick

DTVUSA Member
Whatever. Cable companies have suckered the American public like crazy.
In your opinion... We pay for a service that provides the tv programming that we want to watch. OTA locals account for less than 20% of our tv viewing. Our pleasure from watching tv would be dramatically reduced if we were to switch to OTA only. It's really all in how you spend your entertainment dollar. For us, cable is a good choice. YM obviously varies but that doesn't make me a sucker...

Have a great day!

Rick

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
I don't think the implication is necessarily there.

First, I don't see any reason to believe that NBC will ever give up its national over-the-air broadcast network. It is simply too value to the overall enterprise to have it, for presenting news and information, live sporting events, and variety.
The thing is it won't be NBC anymore it's going to be run by Comcast. Which last time I checked is a cable company. Any "value" NBC has in OTA it can get that much and more by getting carriage fees from other cable companies and satellite etc.

Beyond that, is any of this a bad thing for viewers? For OTA viewers? Of course - absolutely. For cable viewers? A little bit (because prices will increase as valuable content gets placed more firmly behind a tollbooth). Is this something that requires government interference? Not even a little AFAIC.
Well maybe people using OTA can't afford cable or satellite or can't get cable or satellite. I guess in 10 years they'll be out of luck when all the networks are cable channels. People are getting tired of paying $750-$1000 a year or more for crap. Cable and satellite offers "hundreds" of channels only a few of which are worth watching. It'd be different if you could just pick the channels you actually watch and get charged appropriately.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The thing is it won't be NBC anymore it's going to be run by Comcast.
That won't matter much.

Any "value" NBC has in OTA it can get that much and more by getting carriage fees from other cable companies and satellite etc.
That's not the case. There are specific advantages (with regard to the types of programming I mentioned earlier; also see * below) where OTA offers advantages. If nothing else, having an OTA network, as I described in my earlier message, fosters the ability to get carriage fees from other cable and satellite providers for cable network offerings.

* One of the most prevalent reasons given for the fact that the US television rights for Summer Olympic Games is now always a two-way battle between ABC and NBC is because they are the only two companies that have enough OTA and cable networks to make the most money off the US rights.

Well maybe people using OTA can't afford cable or satellite or can't get cable or satellite. I guess in 10 years they'll be out of luck when all the networks are cable channels. People are getting tired of paying $750-$1000 a year or more for crap. Cable and satellite offers "hundreds" of channels only a few of which are worth watching. It'd be different if you could just pick the channels you actually watch and get charged appropriately.
"Appropriately" is the problem. I pay about $30 per month for cable now, and for that I get three hours of programming per week (over and above what I can get on my antenna). So effectively, I'm paying more than $2 per hour of television. That's a little high, but that is because I'm buying so little. As with most things, the more you buy, the less each incremental bit costs. Over the summer, I was paying $70 for what was about 10 hours of programming per week (over and above what I can get on my antenna). That's about $1.50 per hour of television. With higher levels of service, I'd expect to pay even less per hour.

However, folks expecting to pay pennies per hour for the quality programming that I typically enjoy are deluding themselves.

BCF68

DTVUSA Member
That won't matter much.

That's not the case. There are specific advantages (with regard to the types of programming I mentioned earlier; also see * below) where OTA offers advantages. If nothing else, having an OTA network, as I described in my earlier message, fosters the ability to get carriage fees from other cable and satellite providers for cable network offerings.
If that's the case why isn't ABC putting ESPN on a subchannel? I mean it's 15 million extra homes they wouldn't have. More eyes means more they can charge for ad rates. Yet they don't do it. Hmmm.

"Appropriately" is the problem. I pay about $30 per month for cable now, and for that I get three hours of programming per week (over and above what I can get on my antenna). So effectively, I'm paying more than $2 per hour of television. That's a little high, but that is because I'm buying so little. As with most things, the more you buy, the less each incremental bit costs. Over the summer, I was paying $70 for what was about 10 hours of programming per week (over and above what I can get on my antenna). That's about $1.50 per hour of television. With higher levels of service, I'd expect to pay even less per hour.

However, folks expecting to pay pennies per hour for the quality programming that I typically enjoy are deluding themselves.
Well for $2 or less I can BUY an episode of my favorite show from Amazon and I don't have to put up with commericals plus it's mine to keep. So yeah, putting up with commericals for something that is gone after I'm done watching it, I do expect to pay less.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Im hoping for a pay per view model over the internet.

Furthermore, I hope that the government eases up on the broadband speed limitations and rips it up to Japanese standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.