Question: Unknown antenna

Scott Disnard

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I am looking to go OTA. Current ZIP 02859, so Providence should have some stations I can get. A neighbor down the road said he gets 20 or so with a roof mount.
MY situation is that I have west facing windows, and live in a very old brick bldg. 2nd floor.

I purchased this piece of junk (Amazon.com: Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in the USA!: Electronics) , I get 1 HDTV channel, ABC, and not very well.

I was thinking about buying Terk HDTVa, would that help?

Before my building was condos, it was used as a police station. There is a large ~8ft antenna outside my window, has a cut piece of what looks like RG11 hanging out of it. Would that be better? I am guessing ti was used for radio dispatch?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Scott,

If the old antenna was used to dispatch Police cars, it was designed to operate on entitely different frequencies, so it is not useable for TV reception. Secondly, TV in the USA is horizontally polorized and my guess is the old antenna is a vertical.

Have you tried moving your antenna around the room, up/down/right/left and performed a rescan every time you moved the antenna? Digital tuners are not like analog tuners: they must establish receiving a channel for your tuner to 'memorize' or know it is there.

Your neighbor down the road has a big advantage by using an outdoor antenna, but indoor units can work in some situations. Please go to TV Fool and plug in your information including the maximum height where you could put an antenna. Then, copy the resulting URL and post it here for us to study. That report will give you an idea which channels should be available to you.

Do you have a deck or access to the Police antenna to be able to use the existing antenna mount?

Jim

Scott Disnard

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks.
Here is the info.
TV Fool

I have two west facing windows. I did move the LEAF around a bit, not much success. I do have access to the pole the antenna is mounted on physically. It's a condo so any "noticeable" changes would involve going to the condo bord, but a low profile change could be done easily. I did order a Terk HDTVa to see if that improves at all. I would consider an outdoor setup if it had minimal impact, but again, it would be pointing West.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I would consider an outdoor setup if it had minimal impact, but again, it would be pointing West.
With all of your receivable channels being to the northeast and east southeast that is a problem. The good news is if you were to get above roofline you would be able to get stations from both Boston and Providence. The bad news is that signals may be too weak for an indoor antenna. And, having to deal with a HOA is generally a pain. No tyranny like petty tyranny! Maybe you should offer to put up a MATV (Master Antenna TV) system so everyone else can benefit. ;)

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Scott,

The estimated signal levels are too low to take advantage of an indoor antenna and I'm a bit surprised you get real channel 20. Take a look at the following FCC website (link) regarding your legal rights to have an outdoor antenna: Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov and since there is a pre-existing antenna mount, the condo board might welcome the removal of the old Police dispatch antenna.

You have high-band VHF and UHF stations to your West, so you will need a combination antenna to receive them. Of course you want to try to keep the Association happy, so if a flat panel antenna would fit your situation better than a traditional Yagi antenna, A Channel Master 4228HD Pick up FREE Digital TV with Channel Master digital HDTV Antenna CM-4228HD for the best TV antenna reception has a pretty good reputation for receiving VHF.

I'm sure others will chime in, so don't jump on my suggestion until we bounce it around.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Scott,

I meant to write East. Your channels to the west would take a lot of work and probably more antenna height. There is a special short length of flat coax available from several manufacturers that is designed to pass under or to the side of a window or in a door jam, so you don't have to drill a hole through your wall. My local Fry's and Radio Shack have them.

Jim

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
nbound-au,

They are also available at/through Amazon dot com

I bought one just to see if they actually work and they do. I currently have a VHF "police scanner" programed for Marine/Maritime channels and a temporary antenna outside with the "coax" running through a closed window. :thumb:

Jim

Last edited: